Nerve of some people, please read up first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drillsar2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I work at petsmart and I hear all types of things but this really annoyed me, I had a guy come in and ask what tank he needs for a Oscar, Jack Dempsey, Pleco and maybe 2 other fish. I asked do you have a tank now? Yes a 5 gallon tank I said what? He said he had it a year and a half in a 5 gallom and it seemed fine, I told him Oscars alone need 30 gallons and I suggested a 75 gallon tank for what he wants he said I think I will just stick with the 5.

This makes me mad but nothing I can do about it.

Wow...thats aweful, I guess I really never thought about this sort of thing before, someone could have a pet dog taken away from them due to improper care, however its not every day you see that for a fish...

I work at a pet store as well. People refuse to listen. I actually had a similar situation the other day. A guy came in and said he had 3 gold fish in a 5 gallon tank. I'm already thinking red flag... So just to make conversation I asked what kind of goldfish? and he looked around for a second and guess which gold fish he pointed to... koi!!!! I said sir um you know koi are pond fish they reach an average of 28" or more! And we was like o well they are small right now I'll get a bigger tank later. He then wanted to buy two more!!!!! I asked my manage to talk to them because there was no way I was selling them more koi. I know people make mistakes just like I do but some People refuse to listen, It's hard for me to just ignore the ignorance sometimes.

I wouldn't put 1 full grown oscar in less than 55 gals. Even 30 gals would be a tight fit and will stunt the fish.

The main problem I think is mis conception, the tanks at petsmart are divided like 10 gallon tanks and people say to me all the time well my tank is about that size or larger so why cant I keep the fish, they dont realize whats in the back, have like 500 gallon sumps, uv sterlizers, etc

Stores need guidelines and federal government may just do that there is a bill

I agree with it especially for reptiles, I seen people buy 5 gallon tanks for beardies and think they will be fine, I think stores should refuse a sell for a animal unless they have min requirements; thats what the purpose of permits are for correct?

Last edited:
I wouldnt put a oscar in a 30 either but thats min, I recommended at least a 75 gal tank for what he had, he also said he had small ones and they got eaten

I have a friend who started her 5g at the same time I started one. Long story short, I have moved up to a 55g because I want my fish to be happy and healthy. She, on the other hand, still has her 5g with 5 huge goldfish (not sure what kind but each one has to be at least 4 inches long), they can barely even turn around in this tank. Every time I go over there, the tank is almost always at least a third empty from evaporation. I asked her how often she changes the water, and she said never, just tops off occasionally. I am really feeling badly for these fish and I've told her several times that what she is doing is irresponsible, but she points to the fact that they're still alive so they must be fine. Meanwhile, I've lost a few fish here and there while learning the ins and outs of this hobby. Anyhow, so frustrating. I wish I could take these fish from her, but don't want to ruin our friendship over it. Just makes me sad.

I hope your boss doesn't care more about making the sale, than being a responsible steward to these creatures.

Goldfish are the biggest problems, people think they can put them in bowls but not the case, Goldfish need 10 gallons of water each at min.

Consider this too though: Half (or more) of the people working in pet stores are just as clueless (or more so) than the people coming in. I personally don't understand how someone working in a store as a salesperson selling fish can know as little as some of the local idiots you find there.

Also consider that another 25% or so of pet store employees/owners may themselves KNOW BETTER, but are just in it for the bottom line... $$$

It is a rare find indeed to have a store with knowledgeable folks who give a **** about what they sell to sometimes unknowing customers.

I once saw a girl at walmart who was contemplating with her younger sister about what fish to get. She was getting a molly and then saw a spotted pufferfish. She thought it was cute so she decided to get it as well. I asked her what size of tank she had and she told me just a goldfish bowl. I proceeded to inform her that the pufferfish was not an easy fish to take care of and would probably need at least a 20g if not more. Thankfully I talked her out of buying the pufferfish. I wouldnt mind if there were some restrictions on people buying fish without proper knowledge or care.

I agree with that, I was yelled at for telling people on how to cycle without fish and my boss said we will lose money; give them a couple of danios/prime and they will be fine if they die we will give another fish.

Fish/Wildlife need more guidelines for sell of all animals, I really dont mind if all of them need a permit as long as I know there out there checking on people who are doing wrong, some of them may not know it.

ALL REPTILES SHOULD BE BANNED FROM SALE; maybe I will get killed here for it but most people have no clue on how to properly take care of them and if you dont know they can lead to salmonella, etc. personally only reptile I like is a bearded dragon all others are useless in my opinion.

Personally I think Petco/Petsmart should focus only on supplies/fish and get rid of Small Animals/Birds/Reptiles; they actually lose money on most animal sales they make money on the cages, etc

I also think people need to take a certification test; we do at petsmart but its a joke, I think you need to be certified especiially selling of fish thats what I think government needs to do

I agree with you about the reptiles. I was once looking at a home to purchase. The house was vacant, the owners had just moved out. But in a back bedroom, they left their iguana and his terrarium. He looked like he was starving to death and had no food, no proper lighting, etc. He was peeling badly and barely moving. I wasn't sure if he was beyond saving. I was HORRIFIED. I freaked out and when we left I was haunted by this poor suffering creature. After a totally sleepless night, I called my realtor to please let me back in the house and to tell the owners they needed to come get this little guy, or I would take him. I ended up calling the police believe it or not and I also got a hold of a local reptile rescue organization. Ultimately, it was turned over to authorities and out of my hands so I never found out how it was resolved, but my realtor and everyone else around me thought I was over-reacting!! We certainly didn't buy the house but I shutter to think of how many people out there have such little disregard for living creatures like fish and reptiles. It still bothers me when I think how that iguana was so neglected and suffering. I hated those people for doing that. Anyhow, that's my rant. Yes, there should be a permit, and why stop there. As a mother of three children, there ought to be approval for that, too!

consider this too though: Half (or more) of the people working in pet stores are just as clueless (or more so) than the people coming in. I personally don't understand how someone working in a store as a salesperson selling fish can know as little as some of the local idiots you find there.

Also consider that another 25% or so of pet store employees/owners may themselves know better, but are just in it for the bottom line... $$$

it is a rare find indeed to have a store with knowledgeable folks who give a **** about what they sell to sometimes unknowing customers.

dido!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL REPTILES SHOULD BE BANNED FROM SALE; maybe I will get killed here for it but most people have no clue on how to properly take care of them and if you dont know they can lead to salmonella, etc. personally only reptile I like is a bearded dragon all others are useless in my opinion.

Personally I think Petco/Petsmart should focus only on supplies/fish and get rid of Small Animals/Birds/Reptiles; they actually lose money on most animal sales they make money on the cages, etc

I also think people need to take a certification test; we do at petsmart but its a joke, I think you need to be certified especiially selling of fish thats what I think government needs to do

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I always washed my hands after handling my lizard. No joke there.... but really. Anyone can educate themself. I am not a fan of petsmart because Ive been in the one in my town and seen the animals and people working there. Cant say healthy about anything but the cardboard bag the dog food comes in. These are the places that should be targeted by the government for selling people anything they want. I had one experience and one only with petsmart. The lady said she was selling me freshwater aquatic plants. I got home put em in the tank and looked em up online to see what I had and what I needed to do to keep them alive and non of them were aquatic. That helped me I guess I never went back to petsmart and I always research before buying something...

I dont know if I would completely banned reptiles, but Im a slightly biased opinion--just acquired a baby leopard gecko who is getting quite happy and gaining steady weight (hes moved on from pinheads to small crickets now). Ive done lots of research on these guys for years and wanted one since I was younger and my gf finally got one for me. I, like GhostKnife, also wash my hands everytime. Although like I said before I wouldnt mind some kind of permit or requirements for people to purchase these guys so they dont get mistreated

I dont know if I would completely banned reptiles, but Im a slightly biased opinion--just acquired a baby leopard gecko who is getting quite happy and gaining steady weight (hes moved on from pinheads to small crickets now). Ive done lots of research on these guys for years and wanted one since I was younger and my gf finally got one for me. I, like GhostKnife, also wash my hands everytime. Although like I said before I wouldnt mind some kind of permit or requirements for people to purchase these guys so they dont get mistreated

Well done.

I work at a LFS, and it's hard dealing with ignorant customers. I try to tell them about cycling the tank, about doing water changes, about how to properly change their filters, and some of them listen; more of them don't, however. They just want to get their tank and fish home and get a quick-fix tank, and then just abandon it to it's own devices. I've come quite a ways with recommending plants (I really push anacharis and hornwort) to help keep their nitrates down, but the people who get the silk plants just ignore it.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything, but I say "I don't know" when I don't, and it's hard to see every poster on this forum either having a bad experience with a LFS employee, or telling the previous type of person that all LFS employees are terrible. Why can't we just recommend that you think for yourself and double-check LFS advice with this forum?

Anyway, I'm really tired right now, so I'm sorry if I started to rant a bit.

Makes me happy to hear of one being treated so lovingly and you obviously did your research. Wish more people were like that. Glad you finally got what you wanted!

Back
Top Bottom