Nervous about getting a GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chelseachuy said:
my gold ram cichlid is probably the most aggressive in the tank. i also have a female that he doesn't bother but towards the other fish he thinks he is the biggest in the tank but he is not. he is harmless but is deff the dominant one in the tank!

Agreed! My male is stealth. He will come flying out of nowhere and act as if everyone should move out of the way....they are so funny!

Wow, mine is opposite! He is very laid back, maybe from a lack of his kind(?). My four platy (platies?) are about the same size as he is so they aren't afraid of him at all. The neons always steal his pellets, but they are too big for their mouths, so they just suck on them until they drop it and someone else swoops in. Its so cute :)

Lol I love my fish they have taken over our dining room! LOL some of my friends dont get it...they ask how can u sit there and watch them for like an hour? I say HOW CAN U NOT????? Lol! The second pic is the 30 gal where my GBR's live...

Wow, I'm jealous. I currently just have the one running, but I'm hoping to set up my old 10g or craigslist 29 g this summer.

Tropical said:
Wow, I'm jealous. I currently just have the one running, but I'm hoping to set up my old 10g or craigslist 29 g this summer.

Awww thanks! My gf likes the fishies too so I can get away with it! LOL I have been very blessed and got every one of my tanks for free! I bought many accessories tho and house 32 fishies and 6 snails :) I can't go in my lfs without spending 30 bucks...LOL

hi this is from a newbi that has had alot of luck with my rams. i have 2 males in a community tank. they are very peaceful with the other fish and get along great together. i do a 15 % water change every 3rd day. i feed aqueon cichlid mini pellets. they LOVE them. they also enjoy sneaking some of the flake food i feed the other fish. i also feed black worms every other day. all the fish enjoy them. just know that the worms take work too. they must be rinsed everyday and kept in the frig. but the fish really seem so healthy when they get the worms. good luck. they also like a low ph. my tank is about 6-6.2 ph. since they are south american and not african cichlids , their requirements are different. just read everything you can about the rams however if you don't have a natural low ph it could be difficult. good luck. they are beautiful fish!

jpchin said:
hi this is from a newbi that has had alot of luck with my rams. i have 2 males in a community tank. they are very peaceful with the other fish and get along great together. i do a 15 % water change every 3rd day. i feed aqueon cichlid mini pellets. they LOVE them. they also enjoy sneaking some of the flake food i feed the other fish. i also feed black worms every other day. all the fish enjoy them. just know that the worms take work too. they must be rinsed everyday and kept in the frig. but the fish really seem so healthy when they get the worms. good luck. they also like a low ph. my tank is about 6-6.2 ph. since they are south american and not african cichlids , their requirements are different. just read everything you can about the rams however if you don't have a natural low ph it could be difficult. good luck. they are beautiful fish!

Thanks! I feed a mix of frozen blood worms, brine shrimp etc....every other day with flakes the other days...been doing this for a couple years for all my fish....even my betta, well he still gets pellets tooo :)
Waited til my tank was well established and its been a week and they are so beautiful....my ph is 6.5 :):) good luck

Hey Anyone know about breeding them? The male has been hiding out in a cave thought he might be protecting eggs or something

Back
Top Bottom