Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nervous about getting a GBR?

Are german blue rams as finicky as their reputation says? They are so beautiful, and I'd like to add one to my 20 gallon long tank wih 8 neon tetras and 3 platy, but not if it's going to die. I do have a good filter, and do 35-40% water changes every week. What do you think?

If I don't get the GBR I'll probably go with a Bolivian.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

PH? Hardness?

generally they like acidic water, but as long as your water parameters are constant you shouldn't have much trouble.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a beautiful GBR for about 2 weeks. Against my better judgement I got him from a lfs (instead of a private breeder like everyone recommended). He did absolutely wonderful for the first week...then just changed. He stopped eating, he hid in the back of the tank and eventually died :-(. My water was pristine, all fish were compatible, there was no injury or sickness...he just died. Through research, I know many of them are just poor stock and die off easily. I would either highly recommend looking at the hardier (and also beautiful) Bolivian Rams, or find a trusted breeder if you did want a GBR.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ph is 7.4, hardness is pretty high.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you did decide to go with a Bolivian instead, I just got an absolutely stunning male from Severum Mama last week. I super highly recommend her (as everyone else on the site does too). You could PM her and ask if she still has any
Old 05-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
If you did decide to go with a Bolivian instead, I just got an absolutely stunning male from Severum Mama last week. I super highly recommend her (as everyone else on the site does too). You could PM her and ask if she still has any
Thanks for the tip. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you? I had a bolivian a while a go but she was very plain. Did she ship, and was it expensive?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical

Thanks for the tip. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you? I had a bolivian a while a go but she was very plain. Did she ship, and was it expensive?
I haven't taken a pic yet, but I can get one later. His fins are very dark black and his orange and pink colors are getting more vibrant by the day. He's also been elected the adopted leader of my Red Eye Tetras, lol. They follow him around the tank and have formed a very active, albeit odd school, haha.

Yep, he was shipped and was very reasonably priced. I live in VA and she's in GA, so it may be more expensive if you live further away.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
I haven't taken a pic yet, but I can get one later. His fins are very dark black and his orange and pink colors are getting more vibrant by the day. He's also been elected the adopted leader of my Red Eye Tetras, lol. They follow him around the tank and have formed a very active, albeit odd school, haha.

Yep, he was shipped and was very reasonably priced. I live in VA and she's in GA, so it may be more expensive if you live further away.
Thanks, I'm a little further up in PA, but I'll definately look into it.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical

Thanks, I'm a little further up in PA, but I'll definately look into it.
For sure the GBR are beautiful, IMO nicer that the Bolivian, but also I heard a lot of comments about mysterious deaths with them.

But not impossible, you will never know if you don't try!! Just , as Eco said, be aware of their reputation.
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I bought 2 last saturday. 1 just died today, but the other is doing okay so far. He's still pale, but he's been eating, which is a good sign. Hopefully he lives, since I like him.

Tags
gbr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com