Neutralizing vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I use a vinegar soak to help loosen scale etc off thermometers are several soaks in plain water going to be enough to neutralize it or should I do one in a baking soda solution first then several just water ones? DON'T say Prime as I am on well water and have none to use. It's on the list of things to get now that I am paying closer attention to the tanks -along with a proper test kit (not strips) & a TDS meter but that is a future purchase when the depleted cash reserves are replenished. Living in *the country* means you have to take advantage of larger size tank sales(kijiji) when you see them as they DON'T come up often & that has been my focus. Now that that is done I can look at other things, like PRIME etc

If you use baking soda first, the baking soda will fizz and you won't know if it's the rock or the baking sode that is reacting. Your doing this to see if the rock is lime or not. Baking soda will destroy the test.
If I use a vinegar soak to help loosen scale etc off thermometers are several soaks in plain water going to be enough to neutralize it or should I do one in a baking soda solution first then several just water ones? DON'T say Prime as I am on well water and have none to use. It's on the list of things to get now that I am paying closer attention to the tanks -along with a proper test kit (not strips) & a TDS meter but that is a future purchase when the depleted cash reserves are replenished. Living in *the country* means you have to take advantage of larger size tank sales(kijiji) when you see them as they DON'T come up often & that has been my focus. Now that that is done I can look at other things, like PRIME etc

If you use baking soda first, the baking soda will fizz and you won't know if it's the rock or the baking sode that is reacting. Your doing this to see if the rock is lime or not. Baking soda will destroy the test.
I'm trying to neutralize vinegar not test rocks

That was me too which is what probably led to the confusion [emoji57]

Vinnegar can just be rinsed off.
No harm comes from it. It can added daily as carbon source ..
The amount of residual from soaking is not something I would worry about .

Vinnegar can just be rinsed off.
No harm comes from it. It can added daily as carbon source ..
The amount of residual from soaking is not something I would worry about .
I agree with that. All acids and bases can be rinced and diluted with water anyway. Vinager already says on the bottle that vinager is diluted with water to a 5% acidity.

Awesome
This scale/calcium build up is going to take some serious scrubbing to get off as it is so multiple rinses were not looking pleasurable

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome
This scale/calcium build up is going to take some serious scrubbing to get off as it is so multiple rinses were not looking pleasurable
I know it's difficult. Salt makes a safe scouring powder.

Thanks forgot all about salt. Don't need it to be perfect right now just better. I know my extremely short patience will be warring with my OCD perfectionism so anything that helps is welcome. I've procrastinated enough getting this fish room set up so want it done NOW

I am in the same club as you. Can't get ammonia down in current tank that has been running for over a year and cycling another to thin out fish in current one. 30% water changes every other day. I wish I didn't get a buzz cut for summer...want to pull my hair out...too frustrating! Lol
Thanks forgot all about salt. Don't need it to be perfect right now just better. I know my extremely short patience will be warring with my OCD perfectionism so anything that helps is welcome. I've procrastinated enough getting this fish room set up so want it done NOW

Back
Top Bottom