New 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just picked up a new 10 gal and have a few questions:

1) do I need to put peat below the eco-complete?(planted tank)

2) I'm really confused on how to cycle the planted tank properly. Do I throw a bunch of stem plants in and introduce fish? Please help

3) I currently have an established 5.5gal planted. Would any of the filter media or substrate come in handy?

P.S. Anything missing? :?:

TIA

in regards to my new 10gal. Should I put a carbon pad in the filter or should I just put in a couple of sponges and the "white rock" bag of stuff. I have a Aqua clear mini

The "white rock" stuff for your aquaclear is ammo-rid, it will remove the ammonia from your tank. In a planted tank this is bad because plants eat ammonia. And I wouldn't recommend keeping carbon in your tank all the time as you have to change it every month or so, but it is useful for removing meds and chemicals from your tank so always have some dry, unused carbon on hand. The sponge media is most important, it provides mechanical filtration and is the main place for beneficial bacteria to grow.

activated carbon

I didn't realize carbon needed changed that often. I've heard of people simply rinsing of the grunge from the cartriges when needed and using them of r half a year without problems.

breadlowry said:
I didn't realize carbon needed changed that often. I've heard of people simply rinsing of the grunge from the cartriges when needed and using them of r half a year without problems.
That's if people don't want carbon in the filter. Carbon also provides a place for bacteria to grow. There is no carbon in any of my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom