New 120 litre / 26 UK Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alLexX said:
they are fairly active,and claim large territorys. in a larger tank,the territorys are no big deal,but he could easily claim a 3rd of you tank as his and could kill fish that repeatedly enter/dont get out fast enough. basically you could end up with nothing but a shark

Fair do's like I say I'm no expert :) is there a case for adding the shark last, like you would with say a betta + a schooling something in a small tank? Just trying to explore some options. As an alternative do any of the smaller loaches appeal to you?

The stocking plan would be - danios, then gourami, barbs, then shark! My research suggested then it would be maybe possible that territory would already be established for the others! Failing that, it would become similar scenes to the last days of Rome! :-(
Other loaches such as the yoyo or kuhli do appeal, but the ruby is so beautiful!

Putting it in last may work but then again it may not. Id say its up to you. I would ask the store there return policy just encase, that way if the shark does pick on your other fish you could possibly trade it in for a group of small loaches. If they will let you do that it would ease some of the worries

If you really want the shark I'd get rid of the danios or the barbs, and possiably even the gourami. But that's just my opinion. I would rather have less fish in there but of the more aggressive type so that they could hold their own against the shark.

in a tank that size adding the shark last wouldnt make much of a difference IMO. all ican see happenning is other fish end uo trying to defend there territorys rather than running away. and dying sooner rather than later. and adding more aggressive types would have the same effect,but more chance of the shark being killed as it goes from fish to fish

Hey, IMO your stock list is fine, I have two female dwarf gourami and one powder blue male, a rainbow shark, and moss barbs in my tank and all get along fine pretty much ignore each other most of the time. The shark likes to have an area to himself but that's about it, they all are very happy together.

Hey, IMO your stock list is fine, I have two female dwarf gourami and one powder blue male, a rainbow shark, and moss barbs in my tank and all get along fine pretty much ignore each other most of the time. The shark likes to have an area to himself but that's about it, they all are very happy together.
how big is your tank? how long has it been set up? how old are the fish?

30 gal, they have been in there 6 months and the tanks been set up for longer. All put in there brought from lfs when small and have been fine, when they get bigger, so will the tank but some of us can't rush out and buy a 120 gallon.

30 gal, they have been in there 6 months and the tanks been set up for longer. All put in there brought from lfs when small and have been fine, when they get bigger, so will the tank but some of us can't rush out and buy a 120 gallon.
so they arent very old. or full size,if you wait until they reach maturity(specifically the shark),you will almost definitely have problems. a 6 inch fish has no place in a community under 55 gallons. and you dont need a 120 gallon tank,you need a 55.

He's not saying to get a 120 gallon tank, he's just saying watch out because there may be trouble in a year or so when they are adults and attitudes. And that's good that you'll eventually get a bigger tank.

Agreed i diddnt mean it to sound argumentative, just meant I would love a huge tank but have to save and can't rush these things. I've seen bigger sharks live fine with mollies even, so I was confident when I got sharky. As I said they all get along fine and I'm sure they won't be killing each other anytime soon, the shrimp on the other hand, I wouldn't put shrimp with sharks, or barbs! No anymore :(

That's good to hear! (y) I and I would defiantly have to agree with not putting shrimp in there, that would be a recipe for disaster!

I think the real question is if barbs will get along with gourami? And if a ruby shark would be ok, not my thread though and dont wanna hijack, just interested.

Here is the basic cap of the thread: I have a new 120 litre Juwel tank, running fishless at the moment, looking for stocking ideas!
Tropical, freshwater, Light yellow sand substrate, a few decorations, bog wood etc.

Any ideas guys?! I've already got a 110 litre guppy tank, a 50 litre platy tank with some danios so looking to go a bit different but still in my first year of fish keeping... It's become a tad addictive, hence the third tank!

Thinking of maybe a centrepiece fish or two, some sand loving bottom feeders and maybe a shoal of something else.

So potential stocking goes like this...
120 litres
10 leopard danios
10 tiger/green barbs
And...?!

Now I'm confused! Was at a LFS today, chatting to the chappess there, she said the barbs would pick on the gouramis! I do like the look of the gouramis, they look so cool!
Guess I'm just getting impatient to populate the tank!
So, referring back to an earlier question, for bottom feeders, what fits in an Asian Biotope theme that would combine well with this setup?

Here's the basics.
So the stocking currently:
x1 gourami
x10 barbs
x10 danios
x1 rainbow shark

Here is the basic cap of the thread: I have a new 120 litre Juwel tank, running fishless at the moment, looking for stocking ideas!
Tropical, freshwater, Light yellow sand substrate, a few decorations, bog wood etc.

Any ideas guys?! I've already got a 110 litre guppy tank, a 50 litre platy tank with some danios so looking to go a bit different but still in my first year of fish keeping... It's become a tad addictive, hence the third tank!

Thinking of maybe a centrepiece fish or two, some sand loving bottom feeders and maybe a shoal of something else.

So potential stocking goes like this...
120 litres
10 leopard danios
10 tiger/green barbs
And...?!

Now I'm confused! Was at a LFS today, chatting to the chappess there, she said the barbs would pick on the gouramis! I do like the look of the gouramis, they look so cool!
Guess I'm just getting impatient to populate the tank!
So, referring back to an earlier question, for bottom feeders, what fits in an Asian Biotope theme that would combine well with this setup?

Here's the basics.
So the stocking currently:
x1 gourami
x10 barbs
x10 danios
x1 rainbow shark
the stocking shouldnt include a shark though,just saying(again)

Any thoughts on the barbs finding the gourami whisker things appetising?!

I've got a school of 8, and they dont nip, so 10 shud b fine.

Back
Top Bottom