New 125 G Tank For The Little Kids - HELP !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
As a old rookie, I have jumped both feet back into the aquarium hobby. I grew up with aquariums as a kid and want to expose my little ones to the wonder world of fish.

I currently have a 29 gal tall tank with a bad plant experiment. with plants with black algae, but happy fish. Not sure If i should use any of the eco-complete and wood and plants in the new tank.

After seeing the tanks the members have, I am in awe. ( These are not my dad's aquariums ! ) Now I wanna really play !

I pretty much have a clean slate. Freshwater tropical with a lot of plants is the goal. I want to create an piece of living art that my two toddlers will remember and hopefully want to get involved with. sans the plastic bubbling treasure chest and deep sea diver. :nono:

So Far I have 2 Eheim 2215's. and a 125 tank.

I like black substrate and have found sources for Estes Ceramaquartz to mix with Eco-complete ( to cut costs )

I would love to have as much feedback as possible.

Thanks in advance.............

I know what you mean. Seeing some of these other tanks is pretty inspiring.

If you're interested in live plants, then I'd continue the experiment you have going in your 29 to dial in how to take care of them and avoid the various algae. This way you can get a better idea of what kind of lighting you prefer and how long of a photo period to use, figure out if you want to dose liquid carbon or inject CO2 (or both), and what kind of fertilizers to use.

Ive got a 20 long that is primarily used as a testing/learning tank for live plants. There are fish in it, but its main purpose is for me to learn about and get better at growing plants so that I can have a beautiful planted, aquascaped tank like I see others displaying. :flowers:

I wouldnt recommend transferring anything from the 29 gallon unless you sterilize it with a bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution. If you don't, then you're likely going to introduce the same algae problem right from the start.

The above has some really good advice.

Since you have a tank already I would dial it in and learn from it. Nothing beats a good 6 months of fine tuning and learning how to grow plants and learn to see deficiencies.

You need to decided if your going high tech high maintenance or low tech low maintenance.

Focus on finding the hardscape you want first and figuring out your layout for your design. Once you have a solid hardscape that you love its a lot easier to plant around that. Knowing what plants you can grow well is important too. Some plants just won't grow in your tank like it will in others. So many variables that its hard to say why.

I am just over 3 months in ony 75g and I will admit I have made a lot of smaller.mistakes that I have recovered from without losing any fish or plants. I have learned a ton about my tank and how to take care of both fish and plants in harmony.

Here is a pic of my tank. I am 98% algae free and 95% of my plants are thriving show next to no deficiencies. Its a low tech with no co2 and excel.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is a pic of my tank. I am 98% algae free and 95% of my plants are thriving show next to no deficiencies. Its a low tech with no co2 and excel.

This is a low tech planted tank? :blink: That blows my mind. What kind of lighting do you have and how do you get everything to stay so healthy with no ferts or CO2?
(y)

Coyne,

Thanks for the heads up. How do I clean with peroxide? Remove plant a dip? Is there a way to completely clean up the 29 g tank? I can post pics later.

The above has some really good advice.

Since you have a tank already I would dial it in and learn from it. Nothing beats a good 6 months of fine tuning and learning how to grow plants and learn to see deficiencies.

You need to decided if your going high tech high maintenance or low tech low maintenance.

Focus on finding the hardscape you want first and figuring out your layout for your design. Once you have a solid hardscape that you love its a lot easier to plant around that. Knowing what plants you can grow well is important too. Some plants just won't grow in your tank like it will in others. So many variables that its hard to say why.

I am just over 3 months in ony 75g and I will admit I have made a lot of smaller.mistakes that I have recovered from without losing any fish or plants. I have learned a ton about my tank and how to take care of both fish and plants in harmony.

Wow, That is very impressive. Low light and low maintenance? Nice use of the rule of 1/3's. Plants thriving, great depth, and interesting texture and use of vertical and horizontal elements.

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to have to kill $$'s in plants to get to a good tank. :bulb::bulb:

In terms of cost for my plants I didn't spend that much to be honest. I visited an aquarium auction they had locally and spent a good amount there but prices were soooooo good. I also had tons of growth so propagation played a huge role.

I do add ferts, I do roughly 1/3 of ei recommended dose but only once a week.

I have finnex planted plus that is 21" above the substrate I find for my plants this is pretty much the sweet spot.

In terms of keeping everything healthy its a combo of of elements that keep it going. Healthy good amount of stock, feed every other day, 50% wcs weekly, 8 hour photoperiod, large plant mass, good flow and good fert schedule.

A good tip that has been key to the success of my tank is to only make small changes when trying to see what's working and controlled changes.

But thank you guys for the kind words. I have a video journal thread In tank Showcase section

In terms of cost for my plants I didn't spend that much to be honest. I visited an aquarium auction they had locally and spent a good amount there but prices were soooooo good. I also had tons of growth so propagation played a huge role.

I do add ferts, I do roughly 1/3 of ei recommended dose but only once a week.

I have finnex planted plus that is 21" above the substrate I find for my plants this is pretty much the sweet spot.

In terms of keeping everything healthy its a combo of of elements that keep it going. Healthy good amount of stock, feed every other day, 50% wcs weekly, 8 hour photoperiod, large plant mass, good flow and good fert schedule.

A good tip that has been key to the success of my tank is to only make small changes when trying to see what's working and controlled changes.

What is 1/3 ie recommended dose?

WCS?

What are your thoughts on LED lights? They would be 19 in above substrate.

What plants do you have.?

Video 2: Plants: http://youtu.be/aVnTNqfTyd8
check this out for my.plant list.

Wcs = water changes

Led are great , I have zero complaints about the finnex planted plus. At 19" I would think you might want to bump it up to 22" or higher.

Great video. Very informative. I was hoping to see something like this.

The LFS guys don't seem to be too helpful ( even the small family "Ichthyologist" guys ) Although I appreciate their efforts, they know much more than I, I am still CLEARLY having problems.

Ok now for the litany of questions:

What substrate are you using?

How often do you clean the substrate?

How often do you do water changes?

What filtration are you using?

What is your fertilizing regimen and what are you using?

Are you using air stones at night?

What type of wood is in the tank?

How many gallon tank ( sorry if you mentioned it earlier )

Lighting? and time

I will post some pics later of my dying plant tank - maybe someone can help diagnose my problem(s) or at least a starting point.....

Ok now for the litany of questions:

What substrate are you using?
clay based substrate, commercial product called Safe-T-Sorb. oil absorbent similar to flourite. sold at tsc stores.

How often do you clean the substrate?
never. my corydoras and pleco and kuhli loaches and SAE's and ram and pearls and blue gouramis all do their part. I also have a powerhead aimed at the substrate which keeps it very clean. the combo of fish and flow = clean enough to avoid algae. planted tanks should not be vacuumed unless you got big open spaces. again in a planted tank you need to fill up the tank.

How often do you do water changes?
weekly on the weekend, 50% ish.

What filtration are you using?
eheim pro 3 2075. rated for a much larger tank

What is your fertilizing regimen and what are you using?
monday: 1/10th tsp kno3 and 1/16th tsp kh2po4
tuesday: 2 capfuls of flourish comp which i am just using till i empty the bottle, I have plantex csm+b which i will replace it with once its done (no point wasting it ;).

Are you using air stones at night?
no air stones

surface agitation comes from the spray bar which is pointed up in a 45 degree angle towards the surface. this is what aid in oxygen exchange.

What type of wood is in the tank?
i dunno i found this driftwood by the beach on lake ontario, poured boiling water and gave it a scrub. never leached tannins.

How many gallon tank ( sorry if you mentioned it earlier )
75gallon

Lighting? and time

8 hours (finnex planted plus 48" led)

Awesome.

Thanks......

BTW I posted some pics and info of the probs of my tank under planted tanks.

Please feel free to critique and help with my algae affliction.......

Back
Top Bottom