New 12gal Fluval Edge Algae Already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cath1024

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I am a newbie to the aquarium world.
We just purchased a 12 gal Fluval Edge, filled it and conditioned and have had it running for about a week now.
We purchased a heater and have added 3 little fish - cant remember the name but it was soemthing like Playtos - does that sound right?

Anyways I also added in some live plants which now some of them have short green hairs growing off them is this algae and what can i add to help make this go away? I hear people talking about shrimp and snails but i am not sure?

The water looks good slightly cloudy but my hubby doesnt think it looks cloudy so that could just be me being a perfectionist and wanting everything just perfect :)

I also have the heat set at approx 78-79 is this good?

Any suggestions on what else i can add?
Me and my kids are loving this set up and want to add more fishies but not sure how soon we should add to the 3 little guys we already have?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Did you cycle the tank before you added the fish?

If not, I would not add any more fish just yet. Watch the ammonia levels closely, and do water changes appropriately.

The hairlike algae could have come with the plants. Later, after you're sure the tank has cycled, you could add some amano shrimp, they will eat it.

I had the tank running about 3 days - my daughter wanted to add some fish so badly - we took a sample into Big Als and they told me the water was perfect and said we could add 2 or 3 fish to start - he suggested the one we got and they have been in there about 4 days and seem quite happy.

Yes i was thinking the green stuff came on the plants - i did wash them under water i thought pretty well ... i got the pants (5 of them ) at different stores and it seems like the ones i got from Petsmart are the ones that have the green short hairy stuff.
Would a shrimp climb the plants to get at the green stuff? I mean the worst one is a tall spiky type plant and dont think anything could climb it?

Could i add the shrimp now you think?

Ack.

Testing the water tells you one thing - the condition of it right now. No fish no ammonia. But now you DO have fish. An established fish tank has a lot of bacteria living in the filter. The bacteria eats up the ammonia and stuff that gets produced when the fish poop. You have a new tank- no bacteria! So while your water tested fine at that exact moment, you don't have enough bacteria to keep up with whatever waste your fish will be producing. It's going to build up.

You have a pretty big tank with only a couple of fish in it. So as long as you test regularly for ammonia and do water changes as needed, you ought to be okay. But I would wait at least a couple weeks before adding any more fish.

The shrimp can climb and swim, they'll be able to get up anywhere in the tank (sometimes even out!).

ok so you dont think we can add a shrimp them? Would it just die if we did?
I can see lots of fish poop on some of the logs do the shrimp eat the fish poop too? Also what would do loachs and snails?

I see there are different types of shrimp - I like the look of the bright red colored ones will they all do the same job or no?

Thanks

The read ones are cherry shrimp. They eat some algae but they are kinda lazy. Amano shrimp are clear colored and also known as "algae eating shrimp". They work hard, and are specifically known to eat hair algae (which is one of the most troublesome types).

I don't know for sure if the shrimps would die. But at ~$5 a shrimp do you want to risk it? Do you have a liquid test kit to check ammonia levels? After awhile and a couple tests, you will be able to tell if you should add anything else, based on the results you are getting. A safe tank should test 0 ammonia at all times.

Good luck!

ok so how would i know when the tank is properly cycled?

Go buy an API master Freshwater test kit, use it. A cycled tank will show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates.

As you already have fish in the tank, if you test and see nitrites or ammonia you need to do a water change until both are less than .25

There is a really good guide on the forum for cycling a tank with fish, that would be a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom