New 20 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luna09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey there!

I am wondering if anyone has fish ideas and aquascaping ideas for a new tank I am starting.

It is a standard 20 gallon, I want it planted, and it is currently being cycled. I have 5 tiny green neon tetras in it.

I will add pictures of what I have so far, I'm willing to make changes, was thinking of having it relatively bare, maybe only low growing/ground over plants.

Attachments

• image-3919547114.jpg
    image-3919547114.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 75
  • image-260650224.jpg
    image-260650224.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1185571497.jpg
    image-1185571497.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 119
I think you need height! Maybe a nice tall plant or some driftwood...

Thank you, both!

I don't know what I want to do. I did put some bacopa caroliniana (I think that's how it is spelled) in the corner, as well as some normal Val.

But there is a gorgeous fish tank at my lfs that is pretty much bare, I am going to go there today. I'll take a picture and upload it. I think it is stunning, even though it is extremely simple.

Looks nice, I really like that rockwork. I would consider tiger barbs or harlequin rasboras, both are quite active and mostly swim in the upper half of the aquarium.

maybe some smaller rock still laid out like you have it, small and tall driftwood piece back left with some water sprite near it??

Thank you both for your siggestions!

Harlequins are lovely, I have some in my 36 that I could transfer over, though they are full grown, hyper little monsters lol. They want to play with everyone!

I like the aquascaping ideas. I haven't seen water sprite at my lfs but ill definitely keep an eye out for it :)

Here are the pictures!

Attachments

• image-3458260507.jpg
    image-3458260507.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-567935015.jpg
    image-567935015.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 78
What about hatchet fish to fill in the upper regions? They tend to swim higher in the water column than rasboras or barbs, which may help balance out scape :)

As far as other suggestions go, stick to bold fish that don't need a lot of plants/coverage to feel safe. Barbs, rasboras, and danios are all good options. A single dwarf gourami might work as a centerpiece fish if you don't want all schoolers, and will also tend to stay in the upper range of the tank. Avoid loaches or cory cats if you want groundcover plants, as they will tend to uproot everything while hunting for food ;) Shrimp are much better bottom level options.

You were blessed with an amazing LFS! Even the tanks in the back look awesome. I are what you mean, it's simple yet gorgeous!

The fish store is amazing! Everything is extremely healthy, all tanks are planted, nothing is overstocked. They are knowledgeable, have fair prices and the stock is healthy.

Back
Top Bottom