New 20 tank questions! This is serious!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ex visited me today and told me to come outside and to my surprise there was a 20 gallon fish tank when I open the door. I have mix feelings because as you all know I already have a 20 gallon and I really wanted something bigger. But at the same time I am excited to have another tank to start with different fish.

I have questions hopefully you guys can help me out.

1) I will be doing a fish less cycle, can I start cycling my tank without any gravel/decorations??? And add them later on?

2) is there anyway I can use my other tank good bacteria to start my new fish tank???

3) I really want to try sand on this new fish tank. What brand would you suggest??

I think that's all my questions for now! I'm really excited to start my second fish tank.
Thank
Bri

My ex visited me today and told me to come outside and to my surprise there was a 20 gallon fish tank when I open the door. I have mix feelings because as you all know I already have a 20 gallon and I really wanted something bigger. But at the same time I am excited to have another tank to start with different fish.

I have questions hopefully you guys can help me out.

1) I will be doing a fish less cycle, can I start cycling my tank without any gravel/decorations??? And add them later on?

2) is there anyway I can use my other tank good bacteria to start my new fish tank???

3) I really want to try sand on this new fish tank. What brand would you suggest??

I think that's all my questions for now! I'm really excited to start my second fish tank.
Thank
Bri

1. You can, but bacteria sticks to decorations and substrate and it'll move the cycle along quicker.
2. Your tank hasn't been running long enough that I'd rely solely on the beneficial bacteria to cycle your tank.
3. Complete personal preference. Pool filter sand is good because it is cheap and heavier so it won't cloud water or clog the filter as easily as play sand.

I'd suggest using this tank to make a brackish setup for your crab that you have in your freshwater tank. It's been mentioned a few times that your crab requires brackish water and land to crawl up onto, if you can't provide those you should return the crab. They're often sold to people being told that they're freshwater aquatic crabs but they aren't, they can live in that environment for about a month, but to truly strive and meet normal life expectancy they need brackish water and land.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, you can start bare.
Yes, you can squeeze used filter media from old tank into new filter.

Cheapest: Pool Filter Sand, Black Diamond Blasting Sand

Nicest ? Tahitian Moon Sand, I use black.

Adding substrate and plants will speed up your cycle. Lots of plants can make your cycle go smoother and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1. You can, but bacteria sticks to decorations and substrate and it'll move the cycle along quicker.
2. Your tank hasn't been running long enough that I'd rely solely on the beneficial bacteria to cycle your tank.
3. Complete personal preference. Pool filter sand is good because it is cheap and heavier so it won't cloud water or clog the filter as easily as play sand.

I'd suggest using this tank to make a brackish setup for your crab that you have in your freshwater tank. It's been mentioned a few times that your crab requires brackish water and land to crawl up onto, if you can't provide those you should return the crab. They're often sold to people being told that they're freshwater aquatic crabs but they aren't, they can live in that environment for about a month, but to truly strive and meet normal life expectancy they need brackish water and land.

Will look into the type of sand. And crab has been return when I read about how they need brackish water and land. So he is no longer in my tank.

Yes, you can start bare.
Yes, you can squeeze used filter media from old tank into new filter.

Cheapest: Pool Filter Sand, Black Diamond Blasting Sand

Nicest ? Tahitian Moon Sand, I use black.

Adding substrate and plants will speed up your cycle. Lots of plants can make your cycle go smoother and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for mentioning all those type of sand. Will start doing my research ASAP! I need to find space for this new fish tank.

I turn my filter off during maintenance as well. I've got cichlids though that love to take a mouthful of sand and drop it from the surface of the water.

The black sand does look very nice especially in smaller tanks. I've been thinking of setting up my spare 45 gallon and have been leaning towards the black sand.

I turn my filter off during maintenance as well. I've got cichlids though that love to take a mouthful of sand and drop it from the surface of the water.

The black sand does look very nice especially in smaller tanks. I've been thinking of setting up my spare 45 gallon and have been leaning towards the black sand.

And how long you wait to turn it back up after maintenance??? And I really want some cichlids for my new tank but I really have to do my research before stocking my tank but that won't happen till 3 months or so

As others have pointed out :
1-Yes
2-Yes
3-PFS

There are a few videos on YouTube about adding sand after the tank is setup. Here's a quick one that seems pretty legit and doesn't cloud the water in ways that take days for it to settle. http://youtu.be/U73wRwTQ4HM

Also, I would (if possible) just add the new filter to the existing tank and run simultaneously for two weeks. Should be all set from there.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom