new 220 litre set up, need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi there i have just set up my new 220 litre cube tank, so far all i have done is add the gravel, it is of medium size, i am adding a few fish from my other tank, a denisioni barb, 2 lemon tetra,s, a bronze cory, a small brissle nose, and 2 dwarf frogs, i was wondering what other peacfull fish could i get to make a nice community tank, i was thinking a tiger oscar, but dont know much about them, i would like a bigger plec too but not sure wich kind to get, i would like to add a bit of colour aswell, any ideas, i dont have much experience, any advice grately appreciated

No for the oscar. They need at least 30G's just for themselves and will most likely eat every one of your little fish. :( You could probably go with a few more tetras, because I think they like to be in larger groups to school. Or maybe like 3 cory cats?

hi there i have just set up my new 220 litre cube tank, so far all i have done is add the gravel, it is of medium size, i am adding a few fish from my other tank, a denisioni barb, 2 lemon tetra,s, a bronze cory, a small brissle nose, and 2 dwarf frogs, i was wondering what other peacfull fish could i get to make a nice community tank, i was thinking a tiger oscar, but dont know much about them, i would like a bigger plec too but not sure wich kind to get, i would like to add a bit of colour aswell, any ideas, i dont have much experience, any advice grately appreciated

A tiger oscar is fine if you want all of your other inhabitants eaten, with the possible exception of the pleco, but even that I wouldn't be so sure about. Oscar's have a voracious appetite and will eat almost anything that can fit in their mouths, which includes most if not all of those other species that you mentioned. There are many many community fish that can provide color to your tank. Go here and read reviews of many different species' of fish from actual owners - Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

black ghost knife,blue ram you can keep. but no oscar,the oscar can eat your other fishes...

definitely no to the oscar, they need AT LEAST a bare 55g tank for one, 75g preferably... and i'd say no to the pleco too... stick with dwarfs if you must, but a common pleco will need AT LEAST a 125g tank, a pond really...

Congrats on the new tank. :) The Tetras, Cories, and Barbs will need groups...I would have atleast 5 of each...for the Tetras and Cories, they'd be better in groups of 8-10 and since they stay small, you can get away with that many.

Any other Tetras or even Rasboras you like? Add another group of 8-10, then maybe a centerpiece type fish like a pair of Rams, Apistos, or maybe a couple Keyhole Cichlids.

i have been looking at fish profiles and i have decided that more tetras are a good idea, i would like more corys but i am not sure if my gravel will be an ok base for them, if it is i will definatley get more, i have been looking at cichilds too but hear they are very hard to look after, perfect water conditions and ph.

what centre piece fish are good for beginers?

I like The Blue Gourami myself. I have 3 (1 male and 2 female) and they are quite colorful and interesting to watch. They get to be fairly big (approx. 6 inch) but because they can breath air they don't need as much water volume. Always buy them on odd numbers so you don't end up with a female getting bullied. Also, only one male. Male = pointed top fin; Female = rounded top fin

i have been looking at cichilds too but hear they are very hard to look after, perfect water conditions and ph. what centre piece fish are good for beginers?

That is really not true at all about cichlids. Most cichlids are very hardy and can withstand less than perfect conditions (although not recommended in the slightest). A good centerpiece fish for beginners (if your looking at cichlids) would have to be the old standby, the Angelfish. They are very undemanding and are rarely aggressive. It depends on the other tank mates though. If you have tank mates that are on the smaller side, I would recommend getting a young Angelfish that is still small. This way, the Angel can grow up with those tank mates and not look at them as food.

With the many different strains of Angelfish, they are a good fish for beginners that are looking to add a little spark and beauty to their tanks.

thankyou, i might go for an angel fish or a blue gourami, what about angel fish in pairs,

thankyou, i might go for an angel fish or a blue gourami, what about angel fish in pairs,

I have a pair of Angels in my 189L (50g). They can't seem to stand each other, but will leave all of the other inhabitants alone. The only time I noticed any type of "aggression" towards other inhabitants is when I had only 1 molly left in my tank. Whenever I would come into the room, the two Angels and the Molly were right there to greet me. The dominant Angel, I guess expecting to get fed, would chase the Molly away. The Angel wouldn't pursue the Molly, just kind of shoo it away. The Molly didn't care and would come right back to the glass. When I had a nice school of Mollies, I didn't notice this behavior.

i have decided, 5 or 6 lemon tetras, a mixture of brone and albino corys, 6 in total, an angel fish or blue gourami, 4 ottos, and an apple snail, i like apple snails, my last one died, i still have his shell though lol

i have decided, 5 or 6 lemon tetras, a mixture of brone and albino corys, 6 in total, an angel fish or blue gourami, 4 ottos, and an apple snail, i like apple snails, my last one died, i still have his shell though lol

LOL i had golden apple snails that died and I kept the shell in there for a little while as well.

Back
Top Bottom