New 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homedog98 said:

Thanks!

McLumpy said:
That's looking great! You even added a few of the small black rocks! ;) I like your other tank, too. Keep up the good work! (y)

Lol yep! :) I listened on the rock idea. Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Sorry it's been awhile but I've been real busy with classes.

Here's the plants that I got about a week ago.

Plants-

Sagittaria subulata
Crypt wendtii "Green Wendtii"
Anubias Hastifolia - small
Anubias nana "Round Leaf"

And I have had a Banana Plant and Rotala hanging around for a while now.

I am attaching a picture of them sitting in my 10g. I'm letting them sit in there for a while before I add them to my 29g. You can see the changing of color of some of them... should I just add the Flourish tabs for in the gravel?

The plant on the far left (redish) is fake! sorry haha just in there because it has some algea for the otos to eat! =)

Attachments

• IMG_5948.jpg
    IMG_5948.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 75
It looks to me like it might be a lighting deficiency. Root tabs won't hurt... but they won't help much if the lighting isn't correct. Were they dieing back when you got them, or have they turned over the course of the week?

fort384 said:
It looks to me like it might be a lighting deficiency. Root tabs won't hurt... but they won't help much if the lighting isn't correct. Were they dieing back when you got them, or have they turned over the course of the week?

Over the course of the week. It's plenty of watts. 38 watts for the 10g that sits about 8" above the Versa-top.
What you think?

Yep, plenty of watts. What kind of bulbs are they, and what color temp?

Next on the list to check would then be an N deficiency. Do you have a nitrate test kit? If so, can you post the Nitrate level in the tank?

fort384 said:
Yep, plenty of watts. What kind of bulbs are they, and what color temp?

Next on the list to check would then be an N deficiency. Do you have a nitrate test kit? If so, can you post the Nitrate level in the tank?

They are two t5s and one is 10000K and the other is plain 6,000K

I can test for nitrates tonight when I get home.

Thanks!

Cool bruce... it is def. not lighting. Nitrogen would be the next step... let us know what your nitrate is sitting at, and we will go from there.

Cool bruce... it is def. not lighting. Nitrogen would be the next step... let us know what your nitrate is sitting at, and we will go from there.

Sorry, my name is Aaron. lol Bruce was my DG. no worries.

Nitrates were at 0 ppm. I did it twice to make sure I did it since the drop process is more complicated compared to the other kinds of tests. I have the drops into the test tube kind of test kit (api).

What you think? I'm going to be putting the Flourish tabs in to help.

I think root tabs will help... But you may need to go further. With that much light and nitrates bottoming out, I think either a liquid n solution like flourish or some kno3 is in order. I also think you may need a good trace like flourish comprehensive or some planted csm+b. Finally a k supplement like flourish potassium or k2so4 would benefit your tank. You are really in the medium high light area, and if you dose n the plants are going to become k limited or trace limited. It is a delicate balancing act at this point.

fort384 said:
I think root tabs will help... But you may need to go further. With that much light and nitrates bottoming out, I think either a liquid n solution like flourish or some kno3 is in order. I also think you may need a good trace like flourish comprehensive or some planted csm+b. Finally a k supplement like flourish potassium or k2so4 would benefit your tank. You are really in the medium high light area, and if you dose n the plants are going to become k limited or trace limited. It is a delicate balancing act at this point.

Whoa lol alright, so I should get liquid flourish and liquid flourish potassium on top of the flourish tabs? And just do recommended dosage?
Trying to think in easier terms. Sorry lol

Come on over to the dark side Aaron! :) Flourish is good but can get expensive in the long run. If you are serious about plants I'd recommend getting some dry ferts online. I could probably even send you a couple scoops of each until you get yours.

I agree fort, that is where I got my ferts from... came out to about $36 shipped including some of Barr's gh booster. EI is a good way to start but once you find your balance you can try PPS Pro as it will save you some ferts. And if you are really lazy, like me, build an auto doser. :) Good luck and go Pitt! :)

Back
Top Bottom