New 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce410

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting my new 29g. Got it from a nice guy down in Maryland and it's already cycled. Going to move some fish in tomorrow from my 10g. They'll get to stretch their fins now!

Here's what I got done tonight.

I might go down to my creek and get some rocks. What should I look for and what should I do before I put them in? I know to not get limestone. What about ironstone? I'm in PA and we have lots of different rocks.

I'll keep posting updated pics as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Attachments

• image-1543032910.jpg
    image-1543032910.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 263
Looking good! (y) I think rocks will look really nice in there!

I don't have any experience preparing native rocks for a fish tank. However, I have a piece of petrified wood, (so technically a rock), and it's going in my 10 gallon Betta tank. I've been soaking it in extremely hot water for a couple of days and will scrub it down w/ a sterile toothbrush and do a rinse before putting it in the tank.

I would think that as long as you remove any dirt and debris on the rocks, you would be golden. I could be wrong though so I'm interested to see the advice you get on this subject. :D

Definitely update w/ new photos/info as your tank progresses!

Somebody said here that if you add drops of vinegar to the rock and you observe bubbles, the rock is not safe, don't ask me why.

Also I read that a good idea after you deep clean the rock is to "bake" it in your oven, for at least 2 hours at really high temperatures like 400 degrees.

Hope this helps

McLumpy said:
Looking good! (y) I think rocks will look really nice in there!

I don't have any experience preparing native rocks for a fish tank. However, I have a piece of petrified wood, (so technically a rock), and it's going in my 10 gallon Betta tank. I've been soaking it in extremely hot water for a couple of days and will scrub it down w/ a sterile toothbrush and do a rinse before putting it in the tank.

I would think that as long as you remove any dirt and debris on the rocks, you would be golden. I could be wrong though so I'm interested to see the advice you get on this subject. :D

Definitely update w/ new photos/info as your tank progresses!

Will do and thanks! I'm excited, first larger tank for me.

ejaramillo01 said:
Somebody said here that if you add drops of vinegar to the rock and you observe bubbles, the rock is not safe, don't ask me why.

Also I read that a good idea after you deep clean the rock is to "bake" it in your oven, for at least 2 hours at really high temperatures like 400 degrees.

Hope this helps

Yeah I've heard of the vinegar test as well. Just wondering how well it washes of if the rock is ok for the tank. But thanks for the tips! Exactly what I'm asking for!

Just read an article. Ironstones should be okay, but monitor the iron levels in your tank.

Here's the link: Rocks

I would wash them like crazy and boil them.

Yeah I've heard of the vinegar test as well. Just wondering how well it washes of if the rock is ok for the tank. But thanks for the tips! Exactly what I'm asking for!

Just rinse after you do the vinegar test. It won't hurt the aquarium at all.

How did you cycle your tank?

fort384 said:
Just rinse after you do the vinegar test. It won't hurt the aquarium at all.

How did you cycle your tank?

Thanks.

It was already established and had water in it when I picked it up. I'm adding sand a little more sand later and still don't have fish in it. Been two days, I added waste and water from older tank in to feed bacteria. Fish tomorrow or once new sand settles. That work?

Probably will be fine. The water won't do much, but if you kept the old filter media and kept it wet, it should be fine. The thing is, the bacteria won't last long if there is no source of ammonia... so adding a couple of fish soon would be good. I would stock slowly and test for ammonia/nitrite every day for the first week, just to be sure.

i would put a black backround on your tank, it makes it look 100% better (not saying your tank looks terrible, it looks AWESOME!, it was just all tanks look better with a backround)

fort384 said:
Probably will be fine. The water won't do much, but if you kept the old filter media and kept it wet, it should be fine. The thing is, the bacteria won't last long if there is no source of ammonia... so adding a couple of fish soon would be good. I would stock slowly and test for ammonia/nitrite every day for the first week, just to be sure.

Sounds good! Yeah I used old media and I put some of the old gravel in a mesh bag and put it in the filter housing.

Should I wait to add fish until the sand settles or can I add sand very slowly with one or two fish in there? Like 2 mollies that I have.

JOMA said:
i would put a black backround on your tank, it makes it look 100% better (not saying your tank looks terrible, it looks AWESOME!, it was just all tanks look better with a backround)

Just put a dark blue background on and used seaview. Looks great. Pics tonight.

Bad news: I have gotten really sick and unable to do more with the tank. Going to doctor tomorrow.

I'll post with updates once I'm all better. Just letting you guys know what's up.

Bad news: I have gotten really sick and unable to do more with the tank. Going to doctor tomorrow.

I'll post with updates once I'm all better. Just letting you guys know what's up.

forget about us! get yourself better! hope you feel better!

Get better fast!! Hope you get good news of something that will clear up fast.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

following this thread as well...your tank looks good and all advice are good....

and yes, get well soon....take care!

Ugh! I just got over a really bad cold too. I'm sure we can wait to see the pics... your health comes first! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Thank you everyone. I have the flu and they got me on a bunch of stuff so I can at least get out of bed.

But anyways, I of course went to go look at my tank. :) I noticed a pretty thick "cloud" of slime around the wood in my tank. I'd say like a 1/4" of it. Any ideas? Or should I put the oto in to clean it up?

Back
Top Bottom