New 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got a 29g about completed cycling and would like to get some stocking ideas from some of you guys.. Got a couple ideas already but maybe a couple more wouldnt hurt

Got a 29g about completed cycling and would like to get some stocking ideas from some of you guys.. Got a couple ideas already but maybe a couple more wouldnt hurt

My 29 gallon has one blue gourami (tank centerpiece) 6 gold barbs, 5 glow light tetras, 3 neon tetras, 1 African dwarf frog, 1 long finned Corydora and 1 bristlenose pleco. Probably a bit overstocked but I have an aquaclear 50 HOB filter and do a 50% water change every 2-3 weeks. Aside from the gourami all my babies are over a year old so I must be doing something right! Good luck!!
ugunyrap.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love it when people ask this question! A blank slate to let the creative juices flow :D
I would do: (just one of many possibilities)
1 angel
6 male endlers livebearers
6 panda cory cats
6 marble hatchet fish

Some great ideas here ...... I'd like some help, too

I love the ideas already expressed. Here is my stock in my 29 gallon which works well:

3 x Dojo Loach
1 x Rainbow Shark
5 x Dwarf Gourami
5 x Glo-Tetra (hybrid black skirts)
2 x Kribensis Cichlid

I cannot say enough good things about how well they interact and swim all over the tank. Well, except for the Glo-Tetra (hybrid black skirts) at times. It was Interesting when I added three more powder blue dwarf gourami recently, it made the two that were already in the tank much more "social."

I am thinking of adding a small angelfish. I'd really love to get some endlers, but in addition to overstocking the tank, according to aqadvisor.com, they don't work with rainbow sharks or angels :ermm:

AqAdvisor - Paul29Tank

Any other suggestions?

That's my 29g wide hightech planted tank:
247070DSC04588.jpg

8x tetra neons
8x tetra cardinalis
10x killies lampeye
10x red cherry shrimps
10x amano shrimps
10x corydoras panda
1x siamensis algae eater (do the job great !!!)

You can go with only 1 huge fish... Or maybe you want a cichlid tank ? Depends on what biotope you want to do...

Are you more for schools of fishs, big fishs, tropical or cold water fishs ? Misc fishs like puffers ?

just put your ideas on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor, it give great advice on compatibility and filtration.

Okay so im liking all these ideas thank you guys .. Um i wanna do like a centerpiece fish or two to occupy the middle/bottom a good size school that'll occupy the top/middle and a really cool clean up crew at the to keep things up.

I love the ideas already expressed. Here is my stock in my 29 gallon which works well:

3 x Dojo Loach
1 x Rainbow Shark
5 x Dwarf Gourami
5 x Glo-Tetra (hybrid black skirts)
2 x Kribensis Cichlid

I cannot say enough good things about how well they interact and swim all over the tank. Well, except for the Glo-Tetra (hybrid black skirts) at times. It was Interesting when I added three more powder blue dwarf gourami recently, it made the two that were already in the tank much more "social."

I am thinking of adding a small angelfish. I'd really love to get some endlers, but in addition to overstocking the tank, according to aqadvisor.com, they don't work with rainbow sharks or angels :ermm:

AqAdvisor - Paul29Tank

Any other suggestions?

I would be terrified of having 5 dgs in a single small tank. Personally, I wouldn't go over two in that tank.

I would be terrified of having 5 dgs in a single small tank. Personally, I wouldn't go over two in that tank.
I know that's what most people think but (1) aqadvisor.com does not mention it as a problem & (2) the fish must have good "genes" as they seem very content. Though they do stay near the top of the aquarium most of the time, they're constantly moving around having fun. Just every once in a while the shark will starting chasing them randomly .... but never more than a few seconds.

Heck, look at all the rules this 12 year old is breaking and look how good the fish seem to be getting along:

My Crystal Clear Aquarium :) - YouTube

Aquadvisor is just a website it is not a real human being with years of experience like people on this forum. Why would you trust a machine over real people?
When fish are juveniles many species said to be incompatible may get along, but as they age problems could arise.
That tank in the video may be crystal clear now, but those goldfish are going to get HUGE and they will have some water quality issues. Also that lone angelicus botia loach may nip at the smaller fish when it gets larger.
Also, even though we as fish keepers are unable to concretely study this outside of a laboratory, I suspect that schooling or shoaling fish that are kept alone or in groups too small develop some neurological problems.
That said, there are always exceptions because every fish, tank, and fish keeper are unique. We can only make recommendations based on the way we know certain species normally behave in most situations.

Aquadvisor is just a website it is not a real human being with years of experience like people on this forum. Why would you trust a machine over real people?
When fish are juveniles many species said to be incompatible may get along, but as they age problems could arise.
That tank in the video may be crystal clear now, but those goldfish are going to get HUGE and they will have some water quality issues. Also that lone angelicus botia loach may nip at the smaller fish when it gets larger.
That said, there are always exceptions because every fish, tank, and fish keeper are unique. We can only make recommendations based on the way we know certain species normally behave in most situations.

AqAdvisor is a tool that help for finding fish combinaisons and bests temperatures/ph.

For sure all aquarium and fishs combinaison is case to case.

But it's better check it than buying a lot of differents species without knowing anything about them...

These are some of the ones i was thinking about.
fancy guppies
rummy nose tetras
Cardnal tetras
khuli loaches
Bronze corys
Swordtail
Angel fish
Dwarf gourami
Birchardi cichlid
Black skirt tetras
Red eye tetras
Cherry barbs
Tiger barbs

These are just some of the fish ive looked into and that i liked maybe some of u can help me come up with a good stocking list.

2 dwarf gourami
6 Cherry barbs
6 red eye tetras
6 bronze Cory's
1 small pleco - sorry I'm baised :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If i had my time back I would have had an electric yellow cichlid as my centrepiece fish. Had an electric blue ram once upon a time but my school of gold barbs bullied it to death. :(

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do some research

Also, even though we as fish keepers are unable to concretely study this outside of a laboratory, I suspect that schooling or shoaling fish that are kept alone or in groups too small develop some neurological problems.
Nobody is saying it is the be all .... end all. It is owned and/managed by very experienced hobbyists .......... ie HUMANS.

The website is simply a great guideline tool. I found out about it on THIS website. You are the first person I have seen to criticize it so harshly. I find it to be consistent with the advice of liveaquaria.com

Oops ....... I did not realize others had responded to your rant Khuligirl93 when I posted.

5x clown killifish
5x neon dwarf rainbowfish
6x dwarf chain loach
1x keyhole cichlid
1x dwarf gourami

Wouldn't even do two! I'd keep one dwarf or croaking gourami. Basically all the bigger gouramis will get to big IMO. Like do you want a 6inch blue thing not being able to swim properly. If he doesn't get stunted before that.

X2 rams(any)
6gold barbs or other dither fish,
X6 Cories
5 or so ottos.

Back
Top Bottom