New 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakester334

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I just recently got a 30 gallon tank with 1 AC 55(found it on craigslist for $30, it came with a second AC 55 but its not currently working) and was wondering if I could possibly switch over all my stuff( gravel, filters, decor, fish) to the 30 gallon and if if the fish etc.. will be fine?

I understand itll go through a mini cycle again but if I do a 40% water change weekly for a month or 2 will the fish be fine? Or should I move half of everything over to the new tank and go about it like that?

You can move everything over. Including filter with media (will need to run two if filter isnt rated for larger tank) or just move the old media to a new filter. Test water regularly and do PWC as needed until mini cycle is over (if you even get one).

Hey just a quick question. Last night I noticed when I got home from work that my water in the fish tank was all dark and cloudy. So I did a water change and tonight when I got home it was the same as last night and I also did another water change and took the water before hand to petco and had them test it( since I ran out of test strips) and they said that my ammonio nitrite and nitrate were all at 0. See as how my tank has already been cycled for the past 3 months, I was wondering what this could be possibly. I do weekly 30% water changes if that helps with figuring out what is going on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IMO test strips do you no good. If you were using test strips to test your water this whole time you were cycling, it was a waste as they are innacurate as possible. So, we could basically be guessing what you water quality is. I would suggset buying an API liquid test kit, a lot more accurate.

How did you cycle this tank? Did you change any filters recently? Wash any filter media? If so how?

I did sort of what I asked here about my new tank. I had a 15 gallon and upgraded to a 20 gallon. I dumped all the rocks from the 15 gallon into the 20 and transfered over a filter and its filter media. Put new decor in it. Thats how I sort of cycled that tank. About a week later it clouded up and the ammonia spiked and then it went down to 0.The tank has been up and fine for 4.5 months until now and I will go and buy a liquid test kit later today after work.

I changed out the filter pads a week ago but I did what it said on the box( took out the new one washed it under cold water to get all the carbon out and put it in). Have'nt washed any filter media.

And mumma.of.two this is my old tank. I was gonna set the new 30 gallon up 2 nights ago but noticed the old tank doing this so I havent yet.

How often do you change out your filter media? And, do you have dual pads, or just single pads in this filter?

Filter media I change out probably once every 2-3 weeks and it is single padding on both of the filters im running on the tank.

Most us just rinse out our filter media in used tank water, then place back into the filter housing. You really only have to change it out when it's falling apart. By changing it so often, you will be in mini-cycles constantly as you are basically throwing away the vast majority of your beneficial bacteria. I probably change out my media 3 times per year.

The water cleared up and thanks for the advice everyone. On my way now to get a api liquid test kit.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know what your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates come out as. Be careful with the nitrates test. It is extra finnicky and you will really need to shake the bottle 30 seconds to a minute, otherwise it will come out as 0-5 ppm nitrates.

jakester334 said:
The water cleared up and thanks for the advice everyone. On my way now to get a api liquid test kit.

Good! I just switched over from strips, too. Huge difference in readings.

Alright first test of the water came out as 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate and my ph is at 7.1.

Hey just a quick question, I saw a royal pleco today over at my LFS I go to, was wondering how big do they get etc.....( just to clarify not thinking of getting one lol) was just a beautiful fish.

jakester334 said:
Alright first test of the water came out as 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate and my ph is at 7.1.

Hey just a quick question, I saw a royal pleco today over at my LFS I go to, was wondering how big do they get etc.....( just to clarify not thinking of getting one lol) was just a beautiful fish.

Unless the tank is very heavily planted I wouldn't expect to see 0 nitrates. Did you shake the bottle for 30-60 seconds and shake the test tube for a full minute?

Back
Top Bottom