new 30g...need fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asberry2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've set up a new 30g and I don't know what fish I'd like to add to it....I've got one very large pleco and three corys and that's it. I have a few plants and moss and some driftwood. What kind of fish should I get?

I really don't want mollys or guppies....I guess I might get some tetras but I'd rather get a less common kind. How many neons do you think would be a good amount? Id like at least one other fish that's isn't a bottom feeder too

Have you cycled the tank yet or are you still in the planning stages? Also, is it a 30g high or 30g long? That will determine what types of fish you can keep. I've had both sizes of tanks and can recommend tetras, kribs, a SINGLE angel, gouarmi's, etc. There are plenty of options out there for a tank that size.

If its a common pleco all that crap is gonna really pump up your nitrates limiting stocking capacity/requiring more water changes IMO.
And he will outgrow the tank anyway.

In my 30 gallon ive kept bristlenose plecos, a pair of angels(with only a few bottom dwellers so they have the whole water column) cory catfish, love them! Khuli loaches are really great. Glass catfish. Any school of tetra. Dwarf Shrimp.

I'd rehome the pleco also. There are plenty of better options out there for algae eaters/bottom feeders. For example, cories, bristle nose plecos, kuhlii loaches, etc.

You don't even want to know what I have in my 30g long (temporarily) right now. ;)

30 gallons makes for a great community size tank. I had rummynose tetras, kuhli loaches, amano shrimp, and a pair of kribs in my 30.

Try a school of 4 bronze cories

I'd disagree with that advice. Cories prefer schools of 6+ IME. They really start to exhibit more of a schooling behavior when you have larger numbers.

I would like to get rid of the pleco but my girlfriend won't let me so that's not an option. Unfortunately. What's a good number for a school of tetras...like the rummynose?

IMO, I love large schools of smaller fish. I just bought 11 Diamond Tetras off of severum and HN1 and they are really fun to watch. They are fast swimmers and really exhibit a nice schooling behavior.

Granted, I will be upping the # to 20+ once I get my 75g set up. They are just in the 30g temporarily right now. You could get away with 10 in a 30g long and it would be a very active tank.

I would like to get rid of the pleco but my girlfriend won't let me so that's not an option. Unfortunately. What's a good number for a school of tetras...like the rummynose?

Depending on what species of pleco it is, you may have no choice but to rehome it or get an appropriate tank. If it is a common, it can reach a foot long. Kept in too small an environment will lead to an early death caused by stunted growth. Hopefully your GF would have compassion and do what's right for the fish.

Rummys are really shy and sensitive and, in my opinion, do better in larger schools of at least a dozen. Other tetras, like serpaes and red eyes have done fine in groups of 6 or 8. The more in the school, the happier the fish and the more dramatic the appearance of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom