New 30g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diver423

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a used 30g tank, cleaned it and set it up last night. I'm planning on doing a planted tank. Any ideas for stocking it?

image-1706577841.jpg

Here are some before and after pictures of cleaning. Once the water clears up ill post another picture.

Attachments

• image-2839070913.jpg
    image-2839070913.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 79
I had to get a new filter for it. The guy that had it before me was only using a 10g filter for it lol

Me thinks this stock list is quite cool:

2 gbr
8 cardinal tetra or rummy nose tetra
Clown pleco or snowball
6-8 panda cories
Some shrimp. The bigger varieties like Amano shrimp would be better to avoid being eaten
Then maybe a snail or two

Add a Honey or Dwarf Gourami to Samzter's list and that would make a nice tank. But don't add the GBR's till after the tank matures for 4-6 months. GBR's do much better in a mature tank and be sure to keep up on large weekly WC's to keep water pristine as Rams are very sensitive to nitrates. Also going with live plants will not only make your tank look better but will be good for your fish as well.

Water has cleared up a lot, I can't wait till it is cycled.

Attachments

• image-1967873095.jpg
    image-1967873095.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 89
Add a Honey or Dwarf Gourami to Samzter's list and that would make a nice tank.

I had a dwarf gourami that constantly chased my bolivian rams. Could have just been a mean fish, but I would go with a honey gourami instead of a dwarf if I were to pick between the two.

Tank looks good though. There are many directions you could go. My advice is to pick a favorite or two and then work around them as far as a stocking list goes.

With gourami's alot depends on the individuals personality. Some are mellow and some are terrors. Even Honeys can be aggressive but over the years I've found that for the most part they tend to be alittle more easy going. Plus you can get Honey's in Sunset Honey and Golden Honey color variations. Something else I've found is that tank size and stocking levels can also make a difference in aggression levels.

I'm thinking about getting a giant or king betta and building my stock around that

I'm thinking about getting a giant or king betta and building my stock around that

Just so you know that may or may not work. Betta's are also one of those fish that may or may not accept being with other fish. Plus Bettas are not fond of being with fish that are colorful and have long flowing fins and are more prone to attack such fish. So personally I'd rethink this idea.

Ok, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for stock, I need to make it to the lfs and get some ideas lol

I've been looking at fish on google and I'm thinking about doing a all guppy tank now haha

I've been looking at fish on google and I'm thinking about doing a all guppy tank now haha

I like that idea.....as rivercats said it will be easy but also you will have fun getting all those pretty finned ones....oh how I want some I saw online $45.00 a pair....steep for me....good luck and have lots of fun

I have a 30 gallon tank that is 12 male guppies, 9 Cory cats, 1 pearl gourami, 1 dwarf crayfish, 4 african dwarf frogs, 4 golden apple snails and some ghost shrimp. It is my favorite right now! It's so active and has a good little cleaning crew. It isn't planted yet. But it will be as soon as I have better lights. :)

I would definitely suggest a guppy tank any day. Mine used to be all kinds of schooling fish, but the guppies are so fun.

Edit: there are better pictures of some of my guppies on my profile. I'm not sure why they all look red in this picture. I have a big variety of colors. Lol.

img_2251206_0_d90b46812f68c67e0f238a8254abec9e.jpg

img_2251206_1_1d36f21ad426f65ae6e5b5bbdd6ef1f2.jpg

img_2251206_2_43c693b3df014ad68125350a9c59b045.jpg

img_2251206_3_9c07e3b28cc5541b39ed25fe9193f154.jpg

Back
Top Bottom