Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to 55gallons
new 30gal but may have issue need opinions.

hello .

i just got a 30 gallon acrilic (sp?) tank for free and i pulled it out the box (yes its a brand new tank) and i looked and theres a crack just below the cross brace . should i be concerned it will grow - i filled it up and it didn't leak- maybe if i don't fill it all the way it will be ok- any ideas? i'll upload a pic here soon of the tank - its a shame this tank has a crack in it its a nice tank !!!

i hope i don't have to toss it .

MIKE.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is spelled "acrylic"...not that it matters. So if I am understanding you correctly, the crack is at the top of the tank, roughly in the middle. You may try to repair it depending on how large of a crack it is. I know acrylic tanks can be repaired for scratches and such, though I am not sure of cracks. I already have one idea on how to repair it, depending on how large it is and wheter or not you are concerned with the cosmetics of the tank. You may be able to hide it though with my idea. I will wait to tell you what it is until you write back with the location and size of the crack for certain. It would be a shame to waste a tank like that...acrylic are generally more expensive than glass and can have better clarity.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

If it's brand new, can't you return/exchange it?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
That's what I was wondering, if is it new or not? If so return it or exchange it like neilanh suggested.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749
I already have one idea on how to repair it, depending on how large it is and wheter or not you are concerned with the cosmetics of the tank.
I agree it can be repaired. I have a 180 gal that has a crack running from the top 2" into the front 3/8" across the seam. I think this was caused by running 2 400 watt MH lamps too close to the top. It is still the same after a year but the first month I checked it everyday. You could use it as a sump. Awaiting your photo.

PS, how about filling out your "myinfo".

Tags
30 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com