New 5 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanted to share some pictures of my new 5 gallon tank. I've had this sitting in the basement for about 7 years and finally put it to use!

I know the decorations are a little goofy, I just decided to use all the leftover stuff that didn't make it in my main tank and this is what I ended up with. Not sure what to stock this tank besides the 2 cherry barbs that are being rescued from my main cichlid tank.

Any ideas?

I'll have to wait another week or so while it finishes the fishless cycle. Nitrites are still spiked and just starting to get converted to Nitrates.

38387-albums1927-picture13039.jpg

The volcano is pretty cool too, but a big chunk of driftwood looks great in a smaller tank, specially if it has holes and crevices for hiding haha

Thanks. That's the only thing I did pickup actually, but only because the filter provided zero water movement and I wanted the fish to be able to breathe.

It's cute...although disastrous for the castle if mother nature let's out some aggression through that volcano. o_O

I think your tank looks nice! :)

Cherry barbs need an absolute minimum of 20 gals.

Kuhli loaches need a minimum of 10 gals, a smooth substrate to burrow into, and ideally should be kept in a group of 5 or more.

Fish that are suitable for a 5 gal would be one betta or a school of 8-10 boraras brigittae aka mosquito/chili rasbora and a pair of dario dario aka scarlet badis. You could also keep a nerite snail in there, and quite a few shrimp.

Siva - Thanks for the suggestions.

I've seen the same recommendation for Cherry Barbs, but I think that applies to when you stock them in the appropriate school size (5 or more). In my case, I'm rescuing what is left of my school (2) from a tank of fish that is rapidly eating them. I don't think the bio-load of 2 cherry barbs should be an issue, especially if I keep a good PWC schedule. Please let me know if you still disagree though.

Also - I assume Cardinal Tetras could work in a 5 Gallon if planned appropriated with tank mates?

5x5 said:

I've seen the same recommendation for Cherry Barbs, but I think that applies to when you stock them in the appropriate school size (5 or more). In my case, I'm rescuing what is left of my school (2) from a tank of fish that is rapidly eating them. I don't think the bio-load of 2 cherry barbs should be an issue, especially if I keep a good PWC schedule. Please let me know if you still disagree though.

Also - I assume Cardinal Tetras could work in a 5 Gallon if planned appropriated with tank mates?

I hate to say it, but the cherries need a proper school. You can use this as a holding tank though until you find something else :)

As long as it's not a permanent home, I don't see why not.
IMO cardinals would do better in a ten gallon.

I guess I"ll consider another tank for the cherry barbs long-term. It's a shame because I had this one sitting around and figured it would serve the purpose. This will be a non-issue though if the barbs don't survive until it's cycled.

5 gallon tanks seem pretty useless.

5x5 said:
I guess I"ll consider another tank for the cherry barbs long-term. It's a shame because I had this one sitting around and figured it would serve the purpose. This will be a non-issue though if the barbs don't survive until it's cycled.

5 gallon tanks seem pretty useless.

Umm... Yeah, pretty much lol. They can work as QT's though.

5x5 said:
Yeah, but how do you keep it cycled when no fish are quarantined?

Run the 5 gallon filter on the main tank. Then you get Extra filtration and a cycled QT tank.

I don't think it's a bio-load issue with the cherries, it's more of a space issue. They are just too active for such a small space. I understand there will always be times when we are phasing a fish out and no longer have a proper school size, but I think a 5 is still just too cramped for them.

I like 20 gals as a minimum for cardinals, but I understand many feel 10 is suitable. IMO no way is less than 10 OK for them.

Nano fish like the mosquito rasbora and scarlet badis are really beautiful and fun to watch and they stay so tiny they can actually thrive in a smaller tank. Or even a betta would be great. Not useless but not very many uses. ;)

Interesting you mention it's related to activity level. The cherry barbs are in a larger tank now and they are stationary a good 75% of the time. Nothing like the danios I've owned. Maybe I've just got lazy barbs :). That was one of the reasons I thought they were good candidates for the 5gal

5x5 said:
Interesting you mention it's related to activity level. The cherry barbs are in a larger tank now and they are stationary a good 75% of the time. Nothing like the danios I've owned. Maybe I've just got lazy barbs :). That was one of the reasons I thought they were good candidates for the 5gal

They're probably being like that because they're scared to death of moving too quickly. I'd be scared too if I had to watch my friends get eaten by my roommates!

Hmm maybe you could take them into a lfs that could rehome them for you? And then they could hopefully end up with some buddies. If you can't do that, it sounds like the 5 would be better than the current situation.

I can't believe I'm thinking about rehoming cherry barbs to a LFS. Lol. Of all fish.

I thought that was only a problem for people buying oscars, pleco and pacus.

Back
Top Bottom