New 50 gallon freshwater scape advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheDude

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks,

Been awhile since I've been on the website and I figured I could get some good advice on my next scape I'm planning for my tank.

I plan on creating a mound in the center of the tank to create height and depth in the tank, however I don't want to use just ecocomplete to create a high mound of substate for fear of it compounding like it has in my current tank with minimal height.

What I'm looking for is a good substrate/gravel that will be good as a base to then layer eco-complete on top where I will be planting.
After looking around I haven't had much luck finding what I need.

Anyone have any suggestions or previous experience with this?? Thanks!

Use egg crate to create the height you want, place stone or scaling material, then place soil or aqua soil. Otherwise, use a mound of lava rock to get desired height.

While browsing youtube for aquarium sandfall last week, I stumbled across the following video that offers an easy and cheap way to add height without the added weight. Egg crate also works as mentioned above.

Aquascaping with rock on a budget

While browsing youtube for aquarium sandfall last week, I stumbled across the following video that offers an easy and cheap way to add height without the added weight. Egg crate also works as mentioned above.

Aquascaping with rock on a budget

Does the egg crate decompose or create water quality issues at all?

Nevermind, I was thinking of a totally different kind of egg crate haha

Back
Top Bottom