New 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4 polka dot loaches
2 ram cichlids ( any kind)
3 pearl gouramis (1m 2 f)
2 angel fish
9 hatchet fish
15 Black skirt tetras
1 rubber lip or BN pleco

FishFanatic88 said:
4 polka dot loaches
2 ram cichlids ( any kind)
3 pearl gouramis (1m 2 f)
2 angel fish
9 hatchet fish
15 Black skirt tetras
1 rubber lip or BN pleco

Right I'm sorry to say but

Polka dot loaches- can be territorial
Pearl Gouramis - will do fine and very peaceful
Angel fish- proberly won't get on with rams or Gouramis
Hatchet fish- will do okay but are jumpers , I would only do six though
Black skirt tetras- they are one of the larger tetras and will be nippy towards the Gouramis and angels.
The pleco would be fine.
I would do this stock:
Pair of rams
15 cardinal tetras
10 panda Cories
2 snowball plecos
6 hatchet fish, just watch for jumpers
And maybe some khuli loaches

Samzter said:

Black skirt tetras- they are one of the larger tetras and will be nippy towards the Gouramis and angels.
The pleco would be fine.
I would do this stock:
Pair of rams
15 cardinal tetras
10 panda Cories
2 snowball plecos

Right, and I'M sorry to say that this is some incorrect info. Rams and angels will do fine together! I'm staring at a tank with bolivians and an angel as we speak! Angels are also commonly known to be kept with 3 spot (aka opaline or blue) gouramis. So yet again, false. Hatchets do MUCH better in larger groups and are less likely to jump when in a group as they will tend to school tightly when threatened. I will agree about them being jumpers as I just lost one of mine that way. Also, panda cories are a very sensitive to water parameters and are very strict when it comes to temperature. This setup proposed would also lack a centerpiece, something an angel would fill in perfectly. However, the neons would be snacks, so something like lemon tetras, or bleeding heart would be better. Actually, black skirts would work great! I keep my angel in with Serpae tetras, 7 of them, and have no nipping problems. When tetras are kept in groups, they tend to be way less nippy. Finally, snowball plecos are not readily available, something like a bristlenose or a clown would be much much easier to find. Sorry, not trying to be rude or mean, just honest

Im lookin 4 a community and i no i want a pleco maybe some catfish and some angels. Also i want some glofish

Freakgecko91 said:
Right, and I'M sorry to say that this is some incorrect info. Rams and angels will do fine together! I'm staring at a tank with bolivians and an angel as we speak! Angels are also commonly known to be kept with 3 spot (aka opaline or blue) gouramis. So yet again, false. Hatchets do MUCH better in larger groups and are less likely to jump when in a group as they will tend to school tightly when threatened. I will agree about them being jumpers as I just lost one of mine that way. Also, panda cories are a very sensitive to water parameters and are very strict when it comes to temperature. This setup proposed would also lack a centerpiece, something an angel would fill in perfectly. However, the neons would be snacks, so something like lemon tetras, or bleeding heart would be better. Actually, black skirts would work great! I keep my angel in with Serpae tetras, 7 of them, and have no nipping problems. When tetras are kept in groups, they tend to be way less nippy. Finally, snowball plecos are not readily available, something like a bristlenose or a clown would be much much easier to find. Sorry, not trying to be rude or mean, just honest

Actually yours may work okay but I've seen some cases where they don't work out. I'm also suggesting that , that stock list has too many fish . EG, Gouramis, angels and rams. The tank would be too small to house them. Pandas aren't as hard as people think. I have 8 and they do great. It doesnt lack a centrepiece either. I suggested keeping the rams. I didn't suggest neons so they wouldnt be a snack. I suggested cardinals. I would only do ten black skirts because that stock is over stocked .. I was offering something different with the pleco as where I am you can get them everywhere.

Samzter said:

The pleco would be fine.
I would do this stock:
Pair of rams
15 cardinal tetras
10 panda Cories
2 snowball plecos

I have several problems with what you said.
1. i have 5 polka dots in a community tank with clown loaches and cories and they r the most peaceful fish in the tank.
2.I have a tank with angels and gouramis and a tank with angels, gouramis and rams and they all do fine.
3. Hatchet fish do best in large schools.
4. i have a school of black skirts in 2 different tanks with angels and gouramis and they dont nip them or even bother them at all.
5. Note that angel fish are a type of cichlid and can hold their own even if something did nip at it.

FishFanatic88 said:
I have several problems with what you said.
1. i have 5 polka dots in a community tank with clown loaches and cories and they r the most peaceful fish in the tank.
2.I have a tank with angels and gouramis and a tank with angels, gouramis and rams and they all do fine.
3. Hatchet fish do best in large schools.
4. i have a school of black skirts in 2 different tanks with angels and gouramis and they dont nip them or even bother them at all.
5. Note that angel fish are a type of cichlid and can hold their own even if something did nip at it.

I've been reading multiple threads saying that they have aggression problems at night between themselves.
I doubt all your fish have matured , tbh.
You are correct in saying that hatchet fish do better in school but with the other stock you've suggested that would overstock the tank even more.
I know that angelfish are a type of cichlid but not all of them can handle themselves. Just because they are cichlids don't mean they always have the reputation to go with the name.
By suggesting what you suggested in the first place that would over stock the tank.

Samzter said:
I've been reading multiple threads saying that they have aggression problems at night between themselves.
I doubt all your fish have matured , tbh.
You are correct in saying that hatchet fish do better in school but with the other stock you've suggested that would overstock the tank even more.
I know that angelfish are a type of cichlid but not all of them can handle themselves. Just because they are cichlids don't mean they always have the reputation to go with the name.
By suggesting what you suggested in the first place that would over stock the tank.

1. if you want i can post some pics of how reticulated their markings are, it shows how old they are.
2. i am not talking about an angel fish fighting off a jack dempsey i am talking about a black skirt tetra.
3. And BTW it would bot be overstocked it would, however be at the limit but not overstocked.

Now I'm not a fan of stocking calculators myself but that comes up with 140% , so it's not just at it's limit. I went on the Internet and the fishes pH requirement levels are not the same, so they wouldn't would that great.

FishFanatic88 said:
1. if you want i can post some pics of how reticulated their markings are, it shows how old they are.
2. i am not talking about an angel fish fighting off a jack dempsey i am talking about a black skirt tetra.
3. And BTW it would bot be overstocked it would, however be at the limit but not overstocked.

I just also wanted to point out that they might not even fight off a black skirt tetras in groups.

This is ridiculous. Quite frankly I'd be more worried about angels picking on other fish more so than anything. And cardinal and new tetras are basically interchangeable. I never said it wouldn't be overstocked btw? It wouldn't, IMO. Those online stock calculators mean nothing to me. It tried to tell me that a pair of Bolivians would take up 1/3 of my stock capacity in a 39 gallon. That's ridiculous!

Freakgecko91 said:
This is ridiculous. Quite frankly I'd be more worried about angels picking on other fish more so than anything. And cardinal and new tetras are basically interchangeable. I never said it wouldn't be overstocked btw? It wouldn't, IMO. Those online stock calculators mean nothing to me. It tried to tell me that a pair of Bolivians would take up 1/3 of my stock capacity in a 39 gallon. That's ridiculous!

Well yes, it could be the other way round with the angels but it's more likely going to be tetras. Cardinals are slightly bigger and hardier, those online stock calculators are a guideline . Their not precise but what people suggested would still be overstocked. No doubt about it. They may mean nothing to you but for your tank and fishes happiness they mean a lot. The online stock calculators change all the time, since it's helped by knowledgable aquarium keepers. Are you sure you entered the details right?

Um, both my tanks are quite happy, with extremely low nitrates. If the nitrates can be kept low, ammonia and nitrotes are zero, and all fish are happy and healthy, then I don't see it as overstocked.

Oh, and it wasn't even Bolivians, it was actually a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides. Fish with basically no bioload in relation to other fish...

And one more thing, pH requirements mean nothing in this day and age. All of the species mentioned will do just fine in aside range of pH. I have dicrossus maculatus in a tank with 8.2 pH. This fish are from water around 4-5 pH and I've had o problems with them, in fact I know several people who keep low pH species in regular tap water with little to no problems. Stability is far more important than the actual levels

Freakgecko91 said:
Um, both my tanks are quite happy, with extremely low nitrates. If the nitrates can be kept low, ammonia and nitrotes are zero, and all fish are happy and healthy, then I don't see it as overstocked.

Oh, and it wasn't even Bolivians, it was actually a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides. Fish with basically no bioload in relation to other fish...

And one more thing, pH requirements mean nothing in this day and age. All of the species mentioned will do just fine in aside range of pH. I have dicrossus maculatus in a tank with 8.2 pH. This fish are from water around 4-5 pH and I've had o problems with them, in fact I know several people who keep low pH species in regular tap water with little to no problems. Stability is far more important than the actual levels

Thank you for stating this!!!!!!!!!

Samzter said:
Well yes, it could be the other way round with the angels but it's more likely going to be tetras. Cardinals are slightly bigger and hardier, those online stock calculators are a guideline . Their not precise but what people suggested would still be overstocked. No doubt about it. They may mean nothing to you but for your tank and fishes happiness they mean a lot. The online stock calculators change all the time, since it's helped by knowledgable aquarium keepers. Are you sure you entered the details right?

If you do regular PWC that 40% you calculated isnt gonna mean jack. BTW you r speaking from unaccurate calculations and stuff you have read, whereas we r talking from facts and experience. reading only goes so far, for example if you read the species tag for clown loaches at petsmart it says 42 gallons for tank space, are you also suggesting this is true because you can read it? When kept in a proper school of at least 10, black skirt dont bother anything but occasionally eachother. a fricking black skirt tetra is NOT going to beat up on an angel fish or a gourami! Polka Dot Loaches are NOT aggressive or territorial! How do i know this? from experience!

FishFanatic88 said:
If you do regular PWC that 40% you calculated isnt gonna mean jack. BTW you r speaking from unaccurate calculations and stuff you have read, whereas we r talking from facts and experience. reading only goes so far, for example if you read the species tag for clown loaches at petsmart it says 42 gallons for tank space, are you also suggesting this is true because you can read it? When kept in a proper school of at least 10, black skirt dont bother anything but occasionally eachother. a fricking black skirt tetra is NOT going to beat up on an angel fish or a gourami! Polka Dot Loaches are NOT aggressive or territorial! How do i know this? from experience!

Right , you may think that they won't bother anything but the Gouramis and angels have barbels which the tetras will occasionally go after. Polka dot loaches are not aggressive from what you've seen. But you don't know what goes on at night do you? I may be speaking from unaccruate calculations but let's be fair, that tank would be overstocked no matter what. I had a school of 8 black skirts before and they went after my Gouramis, platies and stuff like that. So actually you're not the only one speaking from experience .

Freakgecko91 said:

Alright so do you t hink the fish are going to thrive in the wrong ph water? Cuz their not. stability may be far more improtant but the fish probably won't thrive in that tank. Were going to have to agree to diagree here, because all of us are just arguing.

Back
Top Bottom