new 55 gal, fish ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattAquaBio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy.
My dad told me that angela ( my stepmom) was officially done with aquaria lol. She'd killed her last fish. So he told me i could have it. So tomorrow i'm going to pick it up. A 55 gallon tank, filter, heater, hood, air pump, gravel, deco, stand, everything, for free, what a deal ^^.
So basically, what fish should i put in it?
I'm totally up for suggestions. Thanks :D.

The bigger question is would your prefer colour, or a particular theme, graceful, peaceful, aggressive, predator, scavenger, high or low maintenance, cichlids, carp, particular natives.... lots of things would aid in everyones suggestions particularly an understanding of what things catch your eye or interest you rather.
I think everyone else knows what I'm going to say here though...
African Rift Lake Cichlids of course :)

Hi, My name is Matthew, I'm a convicted Cichlidophile.

~Matt

I personally like freshwater community setups. In a 55g, you could have 2-3 angelfish or a few gourami, a couple schools of fish (tetras, rasboras, or rainbowfish), some bottom dwellers (loaches or cories), and a pleco or ottos for algae.

I've always wanted a cichlid tank though...maybe 5 yellow labs and 5 red zebras.

It just depends on what you like. Do you have any ideas of your own?

Wow, that was a deal. I just bought my second 55g tank...tank and stand were $125. My first tank and stand, bought new were ~$300....so yeah...you got a heck of a deal.

Well, like i said, i'm totally up to suggestions because i already have a 37g community and a 10 g native.
I dont really know what kind of tank i wnat it to be, so tell me what you would put in it if it were yours :D.
Thanks everybody.

Have you thought about African Cichlids ? Very colorful and alot different temperment than a peaceful community.

Well I will be setting up another FW planted community tank soon. Here is what I want:

3 Pearl gouramis
8-10 albino cories
1 albino bristlenose
6-8 Turquoise rainbows
6-8 Bosemani rainbows

If I can't find enough rainbows, I'm probably going to go with 2 schools of tetras, probably 8-10 of each type depending on how big they are. I may put my 4 Rummynose tetras in there and add 4 more and then get 8 lemon tetras (if I decide not to go with rainbows).

How about a biotope tank, maybe Asian:
3 Pearl gouramis (or 1 blue or gold gourami)
10 Harlequin rasboras
8-10 danios, other type of rasbora, or 6 cherry barbs
6 yoyo, polka dot, or zebra loaches

Or go with a South American biotope:
3 angels
8-10 tetras
8-10 tetras
8 cories
pleco
pair of rams

Or go with the cichlid idea:
5 yellow labs (1m/4f)
5 red zebras (1m/4f)
maybe some loaches
pleco

I need about 5 55g tanks....:D

You can see what I have in my current 55g in my sig.

I'm not a livebearer lover, so I don't have any...and don't want any.

discus community tank. a challenge but worth every drop of blood, sweat, tears, and dollars.

I like angle fish, or dwarf gourami with some tetras and perhaps a random thing such as an ell, or crab, why not do something different or strange??? just a random thought lol

I'm with fishyfanatic on this one,
Absolutly in love with their colourful bodies and fun and busy-body characteristics.

Alright, i got up this morning, put the fish from my native tank into my quarantine tank, took down the 10 gal native. Took it to my girlfriends because she finally decided she wanted it lol. From there, went to my dads house. Cleaned out the cabinet under the stand, then i took unplugged everything, took down all the mechanical and electrical components. Took out the decorations. Drained the tank (took an hour and six trips through the flower garden with a 10 gallon bucket). Got the gravel out. It was disguisting, i dont think it had ever had a gravel vac. The entire tank was in pitiful shape.
Heres something amazing: A 4 ft long 55 gallon tank CAN fit in a 2001 volkswagon bug. YES ITS TRUE. We were in my gf's car because my explorer was in the shop (rear ended at red light). So anyway. Take it back to my house. I had to move my 37 gallon to the other side of my room so my 55 gallon can sit on my 6 ft long dresser
spetn an hour and a half getting the 37 moved, then brought the tank inside and left it there, went back to chelseys house, set up her tank for her, cleaned her moms 20 gallon and got it set up (its currently cycling, no fish, pure ammonia). Got back to my house about 10, spent 3 hours cleaning, JUST CLEANING the tank. Filled it up, treated the water, got the deco and everything in.
The tank is finally set up and complete- at 2 in the morning.
And it looks great :D or maybe i'm just biased. If you wanna see it i'll post it in the freshwater showcase thing. Please do, tell me whatcha think :D.
I know i want a couple GBR's. Or maybe angels...Ahh i dunno.

Back
Top Bottom