New 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
M toying around with the idea of doing like a 55 gallon well planted community tank with a nice center piece fish or something. I'm looking for rareish community fish though stuff you don't see everyday. I am looking for some cool suggestions size isn't a big deal as long as it will fit in the tank and go with the community. Also looking for some cool inverts to throw in too. I don't want to go super high tech so mostly low light plants. What would make a nice carpet for this tank and not really need CO2. I will probably dose liquid ferts but am not really looking for needing a CO2 setup. I'm probably picking the 55 up from the buck a gallon sale. Maybe build a stand or buy a nice one. Im looking for as many suggestions as possible. I have 5 other fresh water aquariums so I know about all the cycling and have my liquid test kits and all that. What do you guys think?

I have a month+ to cycle the tank as it is and I don't have the tank lights heater or filter yet I'm basically going to build it up as I go so price isn't that big of a deal unless it's like super expensive because I can buy a little at a time for now. What's the idea I'm open to pretty much anything?

... Zebra pleco. Or a pair of german blue rams. I basically have a stocklist in my head lol!

M toying around with the idea of doing like a 55 gallon well planted community tank with a nice center piece fish or something. I'm looking for rareish community fish though stuff you don't see everyday. I am looking for some cool suggestions size isn't a big deal as long as it will fit in the tank and go with the community.
Subscribed! I was looking for the same thing but apparently I wasn't specific enough :p because the whole thread is pretty much about Green Terrors...

I have a pair of gbr's already in my 29 gallon. But their are so many different variants they have electric blue rams at my LFS maybe a couple of those.

freyar said:
Subscribed! I was looking for the same thing but apparently I wasn't specific enough :p because the whole thread is pretty much about Green Terrors...

I think on your thread I went against green terrors! I still have ideas for 55's in my head!

Option one:

A pair of german blue rams
A school of rasbora/tetra EG: neon, cardinal tetra
1-2 zebra plecos
8-10 panda Cories
Some platies maybe 4 1m 3f

Option two:
3 angel fish ( hope for a pair then rehome the other angel)
8 lemon tetra or harlequin rasbora
8 stebrai Cories
2 bulldog plecos or 6 otos

Option 3:
2 pearl or 3 dwarf Gouramis 1m 2f
8 cherry barbs
A school of cardinal tetra
10-12 Pygmy Cories but I feel they're to small to see in that big of a tank so I would do masked Cories .

I like the idea of having some micro fish mixed with other sized fish in my 29 I have a pair of gbr's a school of 10 green neon tetras a school of 8 ember tetras a couple of dwarf crayfish and about 15 ghost shrimp a few assassin snails a nerite snail breeding mts and rams horns but they are kept in check by the assasins. I like endlers and galaxy rasboras and can actually get some locally but I want to find some Pygmy sunfish maybe I love all the assortments of colors. I like the harlequin idea. I was thinking maybe a few hatchet fish too just cause they are so neatly shaped. How about kuhli loaches would they work.

I'm not really that great with plants and stuff . If you posted in planted tanks I'm sure you'll get the help you need!

For one of your plants add a Marimo Moss Ball! It looks really cool and unique and mine does fine without me using a plant light or fertilizers! They sell them at Petsmart. Sorry about the clouded water just did a water change 5 minutes ago.

View attachment 105808

ForumRunner_20120710_220418.jpg

ForumRunner_20120710_220441.jpg

A good carpet plant would be some dwarf sags or java moss, they're low light and don't necessarily need co2.

Cool I like the dwarf sag and miss ball ideas I have a few moss balls in my other tanks.

I really like the java moss, if you can get it going it will spread and could give a real nice carpet. And throw some moss balls on top, I like that a lot I may have to give it a try lol.

But just for some other ideas out there I have a 55 community but w/o a centerpiece really

2 Bushynose plecos
5 skunk cories
4 serpae tetras
4 rosey neon barbs
6 bloodfin tetras

Lots of movement the bloodfins school together top level, serpaes mid, the barbs are pretty independent and all over the place, cories hang out in my caves but get crazy during feeding times, and the plecos do what plecos do lol

Back
Top Bottom