New 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looks like I'll be setting up the 55 gallon this weekend. I plan to use the same gravel and filter. I'll probably have to add a bag of gravel. Yesterday I noticed there is some water going over my cartridges. I think we can all agree that now isn't the time to change them. I don't want to have to start a new cycle. I rinse the filter cartridges with every water change in the water I take out.

Is a little water going over the cartridges a big deal??

A little water going over the top of the filter isn't a big deal, it just means that the filter is getting too clogged with gunk for the water to flow through it easily. If you have been using and reusing these cartridges for a while and they are starting to get uncleanable, I would change them. If it were me though I'd do it one at a time. (I don't know how many you have or how many filters you are running). When I had my two HOB's on my 55 gallon, I had two cartridges per filter so I would change one of each every time they started to get too nasty to clean anymore.

Yes, I had the cheapy that came with the kit at Walmart and then I put an Emperor on it with the bio-wheel. My thinking is that you cannot have too much filtration and with my cichlids being a messy fish, I thought it was a good idea. I eventually put an XP3 on it and got rid of the cheapy filter and ran the canister and the HOB.. It all depends on your bioload.

The deal with the ratings on the box is thats for the minimum about of bioload.

For instance:

3-5 Barbs

&

2 Clown Loaches is hardly a large load.

When you have Goldfish, Chilids, Discuss, Oscar or any other large messy fish it is always prudent to over filter. Small fish eat less and produce less waste.

You won't have the water cycling 10 times an hour but you'll be ok, you could buy a small powerhead and place it opposite the filter to reduce and dead spots.

I used to run one large hob filter then changed over to two smaller filters for my 50G.

Currently I have a small HOB filter on one end and a F304 canister on the other.

When i was using a HOB filter and it started flowing over the top of the filter i got an ammonia spike. Maybe it was a coincidence just wanted to throw in my experience and thoughts

lovemybarbs said:
Gee, it says up to 75 with the 400. Will I be okay with one? I'll probably only add some barbs and a clown loach.

I have 2 on mine, the only reason being the side with the filter had good flow, but the other side of the tank seemed dead, and collected a lot of crud because of minimal flow. Could do a 400 on one side and a powerhead on the other as well. One 400 should be plenty. It's just I had access to 2, so I made good use for the other.

I use an Emperor 400 and 280 on one of 55 gal tanks, and Emperor 400 and Aquaclear 200 on the other. If you are planning on setting up the new tank in a couple days anyway, I would just wait to change the filter pads until then, and float the old ones in the new tank at that point.

I guess it is a good idea to keep two going to get the good bacteria for use in any other tanks. This should get interesting in a couple of days. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom