New 55 gallon stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got the TopFin 55 gallon starter kit with LED light hoods and all for Christmas and I just got it all set up yesterday. I am not new to aquariums but I am new to sand substrate and a larger aquarium. I tested the water today and the parameters were: 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, and 7.5 pH. So I'm guessing the cycle hasn't started. I have some filter media in the new topfin 75 filter it came with and I also have my already cycled AC 30 filter running in if as we'll.

My fiancée is bringing me her two angel fish and her pleco to rehome in this 55. Along with her AC 30 filter as well. I know to test water every day and do water changes every time I have ammonia until it is cycled.

Now, I am wondering what all I can put in this tank. I already have:
14 glofish
3 Otocinclus catfish
Quite a few red cherry shrimp

I am getting:
2 medium sized angels
1 medium pleco

I want to know if I can add maybe:
2 or 3 clown or botias loaches
3 or 4 Cory's
2 more angels
And I was thinking about a Pictus catfish
But might go with upside down cat or synodontis cat.

Here is the tank. It is cloudy right now for some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 54
I wouldn't add pictus catfish as they'll likely feast on your Glofish

Don't add clown loaches as they'll outgrow a 55G.

Cories will be fine.

Ok, but what about the 2 more angels and an upside down or regulat synodontis cat?

Not sure about the cats, but adding 2 angels when there is already an adult pair could possibly cause some aggression within them. At least that's what I've been told in the past, and it will also depend on the size of the angels (if they're all younger and smaller they seem to get along much better).

well the 2 my fiancee is bringing over are both medium sized. They are definitely not fully grown. They were little babies just a couple months ago. I was going to try to get some that are close to the same size as these. I think the 2 she has are both males because they fight a whole lot. Trying to stop that.

Well I'm definitely no expert, and have not personally kept angels. However, I had a close friend years ago who based all her tanks around them, and have been doing research lately because I am now considering them. A few females may calm them down, but then again it could cause more aggression. You may want to post a question about the best way to add them in the cichlid forum (since they are actually a species of cichlid). It may be better to add larger females first and then the males or vise versa. Maybe smaller females, I'm not sure but a question about order, size, and sex in the cichlid forum could give you more answers. Just my thoughts

Also, the glowfish are danios and/or tetras both of which may not be compatible with angels due to their tendency to nip fins.

ok thank you very much for the advice i will look into how to add angels to lower aggression

Back
Top Bottom