New 55g stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WinksFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have recently been bitten by the bug. We started out with 2 $.17 feeder fish, from my sons school (that did not live very long), in a 10g to a 55g with the following stock:
3 platy
4 glofish (cute, but wish we would have went with something with more presence in the tank)
1 Cory cat
1 African dwarf frog (big mistake-he's hard to find and even harder to feed)
5 black and white tetra's
2 fancy golds
1 sucker fish that starts with a "p" (sorry, I forgot it's name)

I know we should not have the golds with all of the others, but we keep an eye on the water levels and all seem to be happy. We are not thrilled to have them as they are taking up precious space, but since they were our 3 year olds pick we chose to work with what we have.

I know we started out with the most beginner fish out there, so any suggestions as to the last few fish we should add?

We have recently been bitten by the bug. We started out with 2 $.17 feeder fish, from my sons school (that did not live very long), in a 10g to a 55g with the following stock:
3 platy
4 glofish (cute, but wish we would have went with something with more presence in the tank)
1 Cory cat
1 African dwarf frog (big mistake-he's hard to find and even harder to feed)
5 black and white tetra's
2 fancy golds
1 sucker fish that starts with a "p" (sorry, I forgot it's name)

I know we should not have the golds with all of the others, but we keep an eye on the water levels and all seem to be happy. We are not thrilled to have them as they are taking up precious space, but since they were our 3 year olds pick we chose to work with what we have.

I know we started out with the most beginner fish out there, so any suggestions as to the last few fish we should add?

The sucker fish is probably a Pleco ... if it's a common pleco, the grow over a foot so even a 55 gal will not be big enough down the road. If you could return it ... a bristlenose pleco would work in that size tank. The two fancy golds I would recommend at some point moving into their own 30gal. It's not just temperature but even dietary needs. Plus fancy goldfish are very messy fish so that tank may need more PWC's than if it didn't to keep your water parameters safe.

Consider adding a few more cory-cats, they're shoaling/schooling fish and are best kept in groups of 4 or more so they feel more secure. This prevents them from becoming stressed.

If your looking for more like a centerpiece fish ... Dwarf Gourami's could be a consideration.

Thank you for those articles. Our levels are what they said they should be -we've had it up and running for about 7 weeks now (live and learn the best way of doing these things). We would love to take the AFD back, but it's past our return time.

We do plan on taking the pleco back this weekend.

Thank you for those articles. Our levels are what they said they should be -we've had it up and running for about 7 weeks now (live and learn the best way of doing these things). We would love to take the AFD back, but it's past our return time.

When you say they do you mean the author of the articles or the people at the LFS (local fish store)? Also were they using strips or liquid test kit?

I agree to pick up some more Corys of the same species while you're out. A solo Cory is a sad Cory. They'll spring to life and be some of your most active and entertaining fish when you have them in the proper sized school.

I have purchased a kit with chemical tests and test my water at home.

Thanks for checking. We were going to do that but decided to go all in and just do it at home. I wish I would have done the fishless cycle, it's seems easier and better. For newbies, I feel pretty good with how we've done so far, just wish we would have gone a different route with fish selection.

Thanks for checking. We were going to do that but decided to go all in and just do it at home. I wish I would have done the fishless cycle, it's seems easier and better. For newbies, I feel pretty good with how we've done so far, just wish we would have gone a different route with fish selection.

Getting your own test kit as a good idea ... some LFS's use(less) strips to test the water. Yep a fishless cycling can be easier in most cases, especially for newer members to the hobby. As for fish selection, goes with the territory ... with experience comes restocking so I'm certain you'll eventually have your ideal tank.(y)

One of our members / moderators Severum Mama and her husband HN1 are pretty much our official AA fish store. She's who I get all my fish from, and they are the best quality and healthiest fish you'll find. She is the ONLY source who's fish I don't need to quarantine...they go right from the bag into my DT after a quick drip acclimation. She has a stock list if you're interested in checking it out-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/fish-and-inverts-updated-7-2-11-a-158977.html

Back
Top Bottom