Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New 60 Gallon Tank

Hi

I recently received a new to me 60 gallon long tank, approx 48x18x13. I already have a nice planted 36 gallon set up with cory's, cherry barbs, and a dwarf gourami that I enjoy.

I'd like to do something different with this tank but I haven't decided what yet so I'm looking for idea. I'm open to just about any idea other than a saltwater tank.

What kind of setup would you do if it was your tank??

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Because you have a low height for that tank, I would look into Loaches of some type. They stay towards the bottom. Drift wood. Might be nice

Current Stock - 14 Columbia Tetra/11 Serpae Tetra/16 Prisella Tetra/6 Yoyo Loach/1 Red Tail Shark/ 10 Giant Danio /2 Lazer Corys/6 Bolivian Rams/4 Otocinculus / 7 Panda Corys / 3 Borneo Suckers - Flame Moss / Moneywort / and...
jeffruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Booker, I had a list of suggestions, but as I started to post I noticed Jeffuth's stock list on his post. Research jeffuth' s listed tetra and catfish species as well as Bolivian rams. Of course if you decide to stock like jeffuth, you'll have to cut the size of the schools down to match your tank size. Note: forget the red tail shark a 55 gal is too small. A few giant Danios would work. Nice grouping of fish jeffuth.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably avoid the loaches, my girlfriend can't stand them. I really like the rest of your stocking list though. Maybe a few less tetras and just one type of catfish.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

Any chance I could keep some guppys with the rest of those fish

Say a total of around
25 tetra of a couple varieties
4 rams
10 guppys
4 otos
8 panda corys

Would the rams get too aggressive for the rest of the tank?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I find that my Tetras are more aggressive then my Rams. My Rams are very mellow. They love to watch me and follow me around the tank as I am doing my daily chores. Tetras can be fin nippers so that could pose a problem with the guppies.

What kind of filtration due you plan on running?
Current Stock - 14 Columbia Tetra/11 Serpae Tetra/16 Prisella Tetra/6 Yoyo Loach/1 Red Tail Shark/ 10 Giant Danio /2 Lazer Corys/6 Bolivian Rams/4 Otocinculus / 7 Panda Corys / 3 Borneo Suckers - Flame Moss / Moneywort / and...
jeffruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Ok I'll watch for that with the tetras. Thanks for the heads up.

The tank came with an aquaclear 50 as well as an off brand aqua tech 30-60 gallon filter. Eventually I'll look at replacing the aqua tech, but I'll see how it runs for now. I haven't filled anything yet, so haven't tested but I assume it works.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I had an extra 60g lying around I'd do either fancy goldfish, or a whole bunch of nano fish lol.

Tags
60 gallon, gallon, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com