New 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just scored a new 75 gallon tank.
Came with:
A nice three compartment, two door stand.
A Penguin 350b.
Glass lids.
A 48 inch strip light, bulb says T10.
Three pieces of driftwood and a ton of large gravel.
One Jack Dempsey, in bad shape.

T'was all FREE! Unless you count the heavy labor getting it torn down, moved and set back up in under four hours with two small children underfoot.

Yes, I need to upgrade the filter. Suggestions welcome.

Lights: What to do with this T10? Can I replace the bulb with a T8? Fixture says 40 watt max and is 48 inches. I flickers when turned on if that makes a difference.

The JD is going to the LSF if they will take it. I think I may nurse him back to health first though. I'll get pics and post for help tomorrow as the tank is a bit cloudy right now.

Stock suggestions welcome. I would really like a Knife fish and Angels. I will plant it when the JD gets rehomed. BTW, if anybody's want to come and get him PM me.

T10 and T8 are pretty well interchangeable, if it flickers either the bulb or the starter is going. As for the filter, either 1 or 2 aquaclear 110's depending on how heavily the tank will be stocked. Unless you're going to pack it full of Malawi mbuna a single 110 and an air-driven sponge filter should be plenty.
A brown or black African knife and angels would be fine in that size tank. A BGK or clown knife would outgrow the tank sooner or later, likely sooner. Other options would be a zebra or Carapo knife, but the Carapo would be too rough for angels. They're nasty enough to hang with much larger/meaner cichlids than angels.

It's a little dirty still as I was in a hurry to get it set up so the fish could go back in.
The Penguin 350 is not doing much so I think I'm going to buy a new filter today. I really want to try a Fluval C4 but fear it's too small. My only real choice would be an AquaClear 110 or a canister, no?

Attachments

• image-2142314870.jpg
    image-2142314870.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 149
I would've snatched that sucker up and torn it down with kids underfoot too!! FREE....I'm jealous! :)

Jill said:
I would've snatched that sucker up and torn it down with kids underfoot too!! FREE....I'm jealous! :)

Yup. My buddies are about to have a new baby boy so they needed the room. They just said "take it, it's yours".

There was a bunch of white stuff growing on the driftwood. It was not fluffy as such, more spikey, small and soft but nearly covering it. I scrubbed it off before thinking to take a pic. Searched the web for similar pics and found nothing. It was only on the driftwood. Any idea what it was? I'll get a pic if it grows back.

Hi i have a fluval 305 and 306 on my 75 gallon and it seems they are doing a good job

I have a Fluval 406 on my 67g and its awesome!

The white stuff on teh DW was probably a fungus that almost all DW gets, it will disappear with time i believe and is harmless. If you really hate it then just scrub or vacume it off.

Contemplating a Fluval 406, an AquaClear 110, or a SunSun 304.

For the price and shear umphf it is looking like the SunSun can't be beat.

Have a question about spray bar placement...

Would it be best to place the output spray bar so it shoots back to front or side to side? Does it matter? It seems that circulation would be better side to side.

blert said:
Have a question about spray bar placement...

Would it be best to place the output spray bar so it shoots back to front or side to side? Does it matter? It seems that circulation would be better side to side.

I placed mine to spray from back to front. I have good circulation throughout but the other side of my tank is a little slower flow so my guys have a range they can choose from.

skywhitney said:
I placed mine to spray from back to front. I have good circulation throughout but the other side of my tank is a little slower flow so my guys have a range they can choose from.

Good point. Last year when I got the new canister for my 37 gallon I put it in side to side and it was like a whirlpool. Though, it was a short spray bar in a skinny tank.

you can see how i have mine placed in the upper right side of the tank. The large DW stump helps break up the flow a little bit also.

Last edited:
New filter arrived yesterday evening and got it all installed. Had a little trouble priming this one and kept thinking that my other one is not near as slow to prime. Then I noticed I had the hoses on backwards, duh. Worked fine after a quick switch. Dealing with a mini-cycle but I took the bag of ceramic rings from the other filter, and replaced its with new ones, and crammed in the bio-wheels from the old Penguin so it should clear up quickly. Now I need one hollow log thing and to let the tank mature a bit and I can order a small Pleco and the BGK (and four more Rainbows). Put the old Penguin 350 on my Goldfish tank with all three old cartridges.

Here's a few current pics. Tank is coming along nicely, I think. I need some more foreground plants. I am experimenting with Dwarf Sag under this light (t8 single bulb) and it is doing ok, showing some new growth but is very slow going. I want to replace the Wisteria with another large Anubias and I am filling in the Rotala and H. Angustifolia as fast as it will grow in my grow out tank. I have a Bleheri Sword and a Crypt in there also that seem to be doing fine as both are showing new growth. What I find odd is that this is very low lighting and the Rotala is actually growing red, not a deep red but in my 37g with t5ho it barely gets pinkish and only then if I let it grow until it floats at the top.

Attachments

• image-152186946.jpg
    image-152186946.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2767228986.jpg
    image-2767228986.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image-240370255.jpg
    image-240370255.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom