New 75 gallon filtration help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I'm getting a 75 gallon tank (nothing else but light strip, stand and glass top) and I'm wondering what's the best filter out there. Money is not a concern so I would like to know the best, most efficient filter out there. I would like to get one excellent filter and then get another small one to help with the fact I may be a little overstocked.

Ok so I'm getting a 75 gallon tank (nothing else but light strip, stand and glass top) and I'm wondering what's the best filter out there. Money is not a concern so I would like to know the best, most efficient filter out there. I would like to get one excellent filter and then get another small one to help with the fact I may be a little overstocked.

Get some Rena canisters

Hm ok, I was looking at the fluvals and those look pretty nice and has lots of features that would make my life pretty darn easy. I'll only be getting one of course because that one will be plenty enough, I guess I'm still in the overhead filter world.

Hm ok, I was looking at the fluvals and those look pretty nice and has lots of features that would make my life pretty darn easy. I'll only be getting one of course because that one will be plenty enough, I guess I'm still in the overhead filter world.

Well you cant go wrong with the fx6. No other filter can live up to it besides a sump

I've run a few FX5's and in a 75 gallon it could be too heavy a current. A Fluval 406 or two would be good. I run one Fluval 406 on my 55g along with a HOB UV setup but had 2 406's, one set up on each end when I had goldfish in there. I run 4 406's on my 220g.

Ok, I want a filter that makes my life easier so ill prolly just go ahead with the fx6
Although I will still consider the others.

I do not have any fish that require high current, in fact the fish I have all prefer slow moving water.

Just so you know a few years back we imported some smaller koi and had to winter them in a 220g until spring. We ran 2 FX5's and that was a lot of current in that size tank. The FX canisters are huge so I would suggest going with a 406 canister and maybe a power head like the Koralia nano 240 at the opposite end of the tank and see how things go. You can always add another canister later on. If you don't have fish that like high current then I don't think you'll really want an FX6.

Hm interesting. Ok thank you, and yeah all I have is a big ol school of tiger barbs and lots of SHORT finned gouramis so avoid fin nipping

Back
Top Bottom