New 75 gallon freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NepaTitan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
I just purchased a new 75 gallon tank (marineland) it was on sale and couldn't say no. This will be my 6th and probably last tank. I have a few questions.

1st. I have never had a tank this large, I would like it to be my nicest as well all try to make our new ones better than the last. So I was thinking about a nicer water filter setup and drill the back out to run the intake and exhaust but this new tank on the glass says "tempered glass do not drill". So I'm assuming there is not way around this? If not what type of canister would you recomend. I use marienland and fluval, I have always wanted to try Eheim though.

2nd, I am looking for larger fish, and would like a sand bottom, but............ I have tried sand in one of my other 30 gallon tanks and well ugh it didnt work out to well. But from reading posts on these forums I was unaware that there are different types of sand for a tank. Possibly I went with something to light weight?

Thanks again,
Larry

I wouldnt even try cutting it. WAY to dangerous. I dont have a canister, but obviously stick with the well known, porven brands and you should be alright. I wouldnt even do sand, unless you want a fish the REALLY needs sand. Its just more of a hassel. Wash, rinse wash rinse wash rinse....having to let it settle, having to worry aoubt it getting sucked into your filter, and gravel is much easier to clean.

I would even attempt to drill it. Recipe for disaster IMO.
Try pool filter sand. I've tried gravel (traps too much waste IMO) and play sand (light weight and raises pH) but have just bought my first lot of PFS and love it. Took me 20 minutes to wash 20kg and it settles in minutes - hours not days.

OMG I know about the rinsing and I hate it but...... Some of the fish I have been looking at were freshwater stingray or freshwater barracuda.

Pool filter sand, can you get that at a pool supply? Silly question but I like to do my homework before ANYTHING (lol I'm a very particular person)

If I were in your shoes I would go with Marineland or Fluval. Simply you are familiar and also it make buying supplies easier.

Home depot or hardware store and you really won't loose to much sand. Cleaning is a breeze and it will not compact. That is what I got in my 75 with a fx5 filter.

NepaTitan said:
Pool filter sand, can you get that at a pool supply? Silly question but I like to do my homework before ANYTHING (lol I'm a very particular person)

Yes at pool supply places. :) It comes in almost white right through to a tan color.

How is that FX5, saw it on sale as well. Do you have to undo the nuts on the top to clean?

FX5 easy to clean for me. Check out some youtube videos for more details. Its really a good filter.

As for your tempered glass, most large tanks are tempered on the bottom only. Then the 4 glass walls are usually non-tempered. Probably a good idea to take it to the professionals who work with glass on a daily basis and ask them if any of the glass walls are tempered or not. I'm assuming "tempered glass do not drill" is located only on the bottom glass, am I right?

If you drilling for the overflow, dont if its tempered (im sure you know not to). Many overflow boxes (the non drilling type) have a built in system so you dont have to worry about power outages. The flow will just continue because the water level is made so the siphon wont break.

I know it said "Do not drill" on the bottom piece of glass but not sure about the sides, its still sitting at my friends house, bringing it back home Saturday. Forgot to say its freshwater. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I want to drill so that it looks more "together" I know the canisters have a cleaner look, but I'm trying to look for cleaner lol, i know im crazy.

Back
Top Bottom