New 75G update/Direct Sunlight Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMac24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well its cycled. Been about a month. Took the water in to test and was given the go ahead to start adding fish. Going with an angel theme.

I have a question on the direct sunlight. We have the tank in the entryway and it does get a dose of direct sunlight as the sun rises through two 6"w x 36" pieces of glass (not clear, slightly blocked glass) I am seeing a lot of green stringy algae growing on the glass and some brown on the plants. Wondering if a good cleaning/water change and then maybe starting the tank with some algae eaters? Do I need to block the light out completely?

Light is a Coralife 260 watt. The LFS let me exchange my other light a 130 watt. Decided that more light was better light for a planted tank. Just hope I can get the plants to take. :) Light is is on from 7:30-7:30 as of today, was on a bit longer during the cycle 7:30-11:00.

Thanks!

I would try to put a shade over the window if possible..
If you up your light to about 2.5 watts per gallon + then the algae should go away when you start your CO2 injection (wich you will need for to prevent algae from your increased light intensity from the lights)

well, 260/75gallons is 3.4wpg.

You need pressurized CO2 injection, ASAP. the algae is only gonna get worse until you get CO2 up around 30ppm.

You'll probably wanna hit the planted forum below, and read all the sticky's. You're basically setting up a 75gallon high tech, high light tank.

Fantastic. Im obviously getting in way too deep. :(

Avoid direct sunlight if you can.... you will also create problems sustaining water temp. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter if there is any draft. It's curtains for you.

No draft. New house. 72 degrees whether its 90 or 30 out. The sunlight hits it direct for a very short time as A> I live in WA and we rarely have sun lol and B well see A.

Back
Top Bottom