New additions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep looks like male and female. It will be more noticeable when they get used to the tank and color up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yep yep yepppppp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How can you tell the male is a male? I read that the black spot on the side shouldn't have any blue in it and this one does, but could that change as it adjusts to the tank and gets older?

I generally go off their dorsal fins. The male with have an elongated second ray where as a female will have an elongated third ray. I recently thought I had two female rams but turns out one is a male which I realised after getting over the shock of them laying eggs.
My Male:
View attachment 244331
Female in background I don't have a good shot of her.
You'll also note the body is stockier on a female then male and he will be a lot more slender.

Yes I had the same thoughts about the blue dots on the fake eye spot on their flank. As they mature I've found you'll really find out the sex.

Just a heads up, in your first post, you indicated that you have a gourami. Is that still correct? Do watch out for a gourami with angels. For some people, the combo works fine. For others, it is awful and the species fight constantly. It of course depends on what species you have though. The gbr look nice, I hope they work out for you. They are pretty little things, but notorious for dropping dead inexplicably. Yours look nice and healthy though, so that is a good sign. :)
Also, as your fish grow, make sure to watch for bullying. You now have 2 species (gourami, angel, ram) that can be rather territorial. Make sure to have lots of places for them to naturally set up territories and and hide from each other. If your angels do pair, they can be pretty mean during mating time. The more pairs of fish you have in a community, the more chances for disagreements. If they don't pair, they are still more than capable of bossing around everybody else in a 75g tank. Plants and decor that break up line of sight really make a big difference though.
Good luck! Your angels look lovely.

Yea I do still have the gourami, it's a powder blue gourami. As of right now I only have 1 angel and so far they haven't had any issues. The gourami usually hides in a cave I have and the angel tends to swim toward the top. I'm working on adding some drift wood and more plants to kinda break up the tank. I love the gbr so far though

Sounds good. The dwarf gouramis often seem to do fine, more issues arise from the 3 spot gouramis. ☺ Just keep an eye on everybody and it should be fine, especially with plants and hiding places.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406545349.517663.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406545358.028482.jpg

Their colors are really being brought out already, is it normal for the female to be that dark?

Is there a point in time when the GBRs colors stop changing or are they always constantly changing?

Back
Top Bottom