new algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishweed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have bought a new long tailed algae eater - or ancistrid. He looks like the one on this picture:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/1998-12.htm
Will he make a good pet? or will he hide behind rocks the whole time?
How large will he grow? The fish shop said he would not grow too big.

They also said that we should not feed him too much as that will make him lazy and ineffective? Are there any guidelines? How can we tell if he is gaining/ losing weight?

Wow - we also saw some baby oscars in the shop. You are right they do look cute as babies. I'm glad we had done our reading up and so were not tempted as there was no warning on the tank about them. However there were some grown up oscars in the shop which looked like bruisers. All the plants had been torn to shreds.

Happy fishkeeping

My exp with catfish is to watch their belly when they are on the glass. I found that when mine was sick and sluggish his/her belly became concave (sucked in). Unfortuneately I read the signs all to late but have learned from my mistake and my next bristlenose will have a much better chance.

Check my 2 gal pics of my catfish for more info.

Louise

btw that's a great link you posted....veryinformative. Thank you for sharing.

agh - we made a mistake tonight and feel a bit guilty. we got back late and the house (and tank were in darkness) - we were so pleased that the algae eater was eating the weeds in the middle of the tank that we suddently turned the lights on. We scared the poor thing and so he quickly hid under his rock. the gupppies were also a bit startled. Poor things - we will be more careful next time.

Back
Top Bottom