New and need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monday60204

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Story time...

I put my fish into a smaller tank to do a water& gravel/substrate change. While I had my 5 gallon bucket filling up in the tub and I put in the new substrate, my daughter decided to put my body wash into the bucket.

It was only a little bit, I thought it was just bubbles from the water. Turns out it’s still bubbly and it was from the body wash.

The filter was disconnected and put to the side.
Fish are safe but now I need to know how to get this out.

I read to rinse it out, clean with a water and bleach solution, and wipe it down. I feel like that’s too easy.

Advice please?

Story time...

I put my fish into a smaller tank to do a water& gravel/substrate change. While I had my 5 gallon bucket filling up in the tub and I put in the new substrate, my daughter decided to put my body wash into the bucket.

It was only a little bit, I thought it was just bubbles from the water. Turns out it’s still bubbly and it was from the body wash.

The filter was disconnected and put to the side.
Fish are safe but now I need to know how to get this out.

I read to rinse it out, clean with a water and bleach solution, and wipe it down. I feel like that’s too easy.

Advice please?
First of all you said you doing a gravel change. That will cause a nitrogen cycle in your tank. Mostly beneficial bacterias reside in substrate and filter.

About the soap, you need to wash it very carefully with hot water so no traces of soap left on gravels. I think that's the best you can do right now.

I think just thoroughly rinsing off everything with water will be fine. I sometimes remove decor from my tank and scrub it with Dawn dish soap, rinse it off good and put it back in the tank without issue.

First of all you said you doing a gravel change. That will cause a nitrogen cycle in your tank. Mostly beneficial bacterias reside in substrate and filter.

About the soap, you need to wash it very carefully with hot water so no traces of soap left on gravels. I think that's the best you can do right now.

Thank you, I ended up doing that but I emptied out the substrate because it was basically sand and I didn’t want the hassle. I just put the old gravel back in

I think just thoroughly rinsing off everything with water will be fine. I sometimes remove decor from my tank and scrub it with Dawn dish soap, rinse it off good and put it back in the tank without issue.

Thanks, yeah I was wondering how I would clean the decorations. I have a white one and when I left for vacation it was clean and when I came back it turned disgusting because I think my brother was over feeding

Back
Top Bottom