New and running into issues. Help appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpNYR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I setup a 10 gallon aquarium, let it run for 4 days before adding a gourami. Then 2 days later I added 3 guppies and 2 gold pristella tetras. The Gourami and all the guppies died 2 days later. The only things left are the golden pristellas.

The pristellas were taken out of a tank that had one dead gourami inside, is this what contaminated my tank and killed the rest of the fish? Or was it that my tank wasn't cycled yet? Before I added my water to the tank all the levels were perfect. Ammonia was 0, and PH was 6.8. However, during the time I noticed the fish were ill I checked and PH was in the 8-9 range and ammonia was around 0.25 - greenish color for the test.

I'm going to give this another go. I'm going to do a water change, vacuum, and let this tank cycle before I add anything to it. I'm leaning towards a school. What's the best school of fish I can add to a 10 gallon tank? Guppies seem like very sensitive fish. I like colorful fish -- any suggestions of what I can look at? If you see a good combo instead of a school of one breed, please mention that too.

stick with the fishless cycle for sure. way too much work having fish in the tank! and 10 gallon is kind of limiting in what you can get what colors do you like?

Sorry to say but it sounds like they died of ammonia poisoning. It takes 4-8 weeks to cycle a tank. Filling it with water then letting it sit for a few days is not cycling. The tank needs an ammonia source (from the fish-fish in cycle or from a bottle-fishless cycle).

Sorry to say but it sounds like they died of ammonia poisoning. It takes 4-8 weeks to cycle a tank. Filling it with water then letting it sit for a few days is not cycling. The tank needs an ammonia source (from the fish-fish in cycle or from a bottle-fishless cycle).

Where did the ammonia come from though?

Also, how would I add an ammonia source? Are there fish I should use during the cycle?

stick with the fishless cycle for sure. way too much work having fish in the tank! and 10 gallon is kind of limiting in what you can get what colors do you like?

Any colors as long as they're are beautiful fish.

hpNYR said:
Where did the ammonia come from though?

Also, how would I add an ammonia source? Are there fish I should use during the cycle?

Fish produce ammonia when they poop:) It is usually recommended that you do a fishless cycle on a new tank to establish the bacteria in your filter to process the ammonia your fish produce. You need to google the nitrogen cycle and do a search on this sight for 'the almost complete guide and FAQ for fishless cycle' and 'I just learnt about cycling but I already have fish'.

I don't see where you're getting this info. The fish died 2 days after adding them... unless there was ammonia already present in the tank, ammonia poisoning would be the last thing I would every think of. Ammonia doesn't kill fish instantly in the small levels it would build up in during that small of a time frame.

While I agree that some degree of knowledge on the nitrogen cycle needs to be obtained, so that an understanding of what's going on and what needs to be done can happen... I would say that most likely, it's poor stock, poor acclimation from considerably different water chemistry, or potentially some disease that was compounded by the stress of moving them.... or maybe a contaminate from not rinsing everything off, dechlorinating the water, etc.

mfdrookie516 said:
I don't see where you're getting this info. The fish died 2 days after adding them... unless there was ammonia already present in the tank, ammonia poisoning would be the last thing I would every think of. Ammonia doesn't kill fish instantly in the small levels it would build up in during that small of a time frame.

While I agree that some degree of knowledge on the nitrogen cycle needs to be obtained, so that an understanding of what's going on and what needs to be done can happen... I would say that most likely, it's poor stock, poor acclimation from considerably different water chemistry, or potentially some disease that was compounded by the stress of moving them.... or maybe a contaminate from not rinsing everything off, dechlorinating the water, etc.

I'm sorry I added up the days wrong. I got 8 instead of 4. I added the 4 before the fish where added my bad. I was just going from personal experience with a small tank, that many fish and about a weeks time frame for ammonia build up.

I'm going to do a 50% water change, vacuum, and let the tank run for 30 days before i add anything. I'll check the levels every week, or every other week.

Is this good enough?

As far as fish, colorful&beautiful, which would be reccomended for a 10 gal?

Thanks everyone.

hpNYR said:
I'm going to do a 50% water change, vacuum, and let the tank run for 30 days before i add anything. I'll check the levels every week, or every other week.

Is this good enough?

As far as fish, colorful&beautiful, which would be reccomended for a 10 gal?

Thanks everyone.

I'm a bit confused. Are there still fish in the tank or did you rehome them?

hpNYR said:
They have been rehomed.

Ok. I don't want to give anymore wrong advise. Just double checking. It's a new tank and filter? If so your best option is to fishless cycle to make your tank a happy and healthy home for your fish. Eco's fishless cycle guide will help with that. When your tank is fully cycled then you can add some fish. Do you know how to properly acclimatize fish?

Some fish you could add (not all of them just a selection) are a dwarf gourami, a betta, a small school of tetras (only certain types, some need a lot more swimming room), some guppies, shrimp, snails.

Ok. I don't want to give anymore wrong advise. Just double checking. It's a new tank and filter? If so your best option is to fishless cycle to make your tank a happy and healthy home for your fish. Eco's fishless cycle guide will help with that. When your tank is fully cycled then you can add some fish. Do you know how to properly acclimatize fish?

Some fish you could add (not all of them just a selection) are a dwarf gourami, a betta, a small school of tetras (only certain types, some need a lot more swimming room), some guppies, shrimp, snails.

How do you properly acclimatize fish? Do you let the bag float for a bit before putting the fish in?

Thanks for advice.

Well, it's the same tank and filter where a few fish died in.

hpNYR said:
I'm going to do a 50% water change, vacuum, and let the tank run for 30 days before i add anything..

I'm not sure you've got a full understanding of how the nitrogen cycle works in an aquarium. Running the tank empty for 30 days will do nothing other than circulate the water. You have to add an ammonia source during that time to establish beneficial bacterial colonies which make the tank safe for fish...that is true "cycling".

Here's a couple articles to look over-
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

I know of two ways there maybe more.
Float the bag ontop of the water for 10-15 minutes.
Open the bag and scoop a cup of water from the tank into the bag.
Repeat the process every 5 minutes until the water has doubled in volume then remove half the water.
Keep adding water every 5 minutes until the water has doubled again.
Net the fish and place in the tank.
Dispose of the water in the bag. It may contain nasties from the petstore that you do not want in your tank.

Float the bag for 10-15 minutes.
Open bag and place in bucket.
Get some airline tubing and create a syphon from the tank to the bag.
Slow the flow to a few drops per second. I use a clothes peg but you can tie knots in the tubing until it slows the flow.
When the water volume doubles, remove half and repeat the process.
Net the fish and place in tank.
Dispose of bag water.

Hi, sorry about your fish.

If you don't have any fish left and have an empty tank, it's best to cycle it first. For that you're going to need an ammonia source (just letting the tank run for x number of days/weeks won't cycle it). Pure ammonia is best, if you can get ACE hardware ammonia, but as long as it doesn't have any surfactants, dyes, perfumes in it it should be fine (read the label). The link you were given above will help guide you through it (it's also in my signature: new empty tank). The cycling process can take a few weeks on average so just be patient; in the meantime think about what you're going to stock the tank with and ask here for advice.

The best way to acclimate fish is either using the drip method (some good videos on You Tube of how to do this) or float the bag in the aquarium and every 20 minutes or so add a small amount of your tank water to the bag. Do this for 90 minutes to 2 hours (to be safe) or/and until the volume of water doubles. Then pour the bag of water with fish in it into a net (don't add the bag water to your tank) and net the fish into the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom