New Appreciation For Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a betta once long ago. It was probably at least 13 years ago. I don't even remember what color he was. Once I got my first 'real' aquarium though, I wanted to become a more 'serious' hobbyist and took up African cichlids (which I love...I'll have to do another rift lake setup one of these days)

And ever since then, I barely glanced at fish like bettas. Even when I had a fish tank while I was in college and just wanted a small 5 gallon...I wouldn't even consider a betta. A shame I didn't too. I could have had a beautiful and personable fish for the several years I was in school.

I've only had Gator on my desk for a few days now and I'm pretty surprised by how inquisitive the fish is. If there's a tight space, he tries to get into it. (He loves poking his head into the bottom corners of the tank.) He already built a bubble nest (which I unfortunately messed up removing the filter that came with the tank since he didn't like the output from it, even on low) which I've never seen before in person so I think that's pretty neat. Though I don't think he'll get much use from it!

And the colors...they're simply amazing. I've always been such a cichlid fan because of their colors and personality and his colors certainly match theirs. I'd say he's probably the prettiest fish I've ever kept.

I wish I'd been keeping bettas all this long while. :)

I've got a gorgeous betta named Alphie who is fast becoming my favorite fish. They are really great. I plan to have one at work if possible when I get a new job!

Oh yes...I have seen some lovely bettas. I like my guy, he's fuschia and blue....very pretty. I saw a gorgeous crowntail at Petsmart this past weekend that I really wanted to buy a 2.5g for...but I talked myself out of it. I wish I had though....they were so pretty!

My betta, Charlie, will be hanging out on the bottom of the 10g and I'll tap lightly on the hood and he will swim up to the top to greet me. He's a great little guy!

If only you could put more than one in a tank...I'd have atleast 5 or more bettas in my tanks...:D

I bought a betta for my 29G and was stunned by the personality. Unfortunately he was the inquisitive type and managed to sneek his way under a hollow ornament where he drowned :( Now I have 4 bettas in a divided 10G, and a 5th in a 2.5G in the kitchen. Each one of them is an individual, that's for certain. Mr Piggy does a "wiggle dance" everything he sees me - like a dog wagging not just its tail but its entire hindquarters. Spot is "delicate" - he's gentle and slowly swims up to his food and gently takes it into his mouth. Mr Fussy isn't as fussy anymore and will jump an inch out of the water to grab food from my fingertips. America enjoys staring at me while I work (two big black eyes on a white fish - sometimes I feel like I can feel his eyes boring wholes into me LOL). And Mr Happy loves building his bubble nests right up front so I can get an excellent view of them.

America, Happy and Spot were purchased during the same trip. I went to get ONE more betta and then couldn't make up my mind between them ! I also got to the Petsmart just as they were removing their shipments from the boxes, so I picked them before they even got into their cups straight out of the box.

I don't even LOOK at the betta's anymore - I'm afraid of ending up with wall to wall betta tanks in every room ! LOL

Do you have a filter in your divided 10g joannde? I would love to divide my 10g and have a bunch of bettas when I take it down....but I'm not sure about a filter.

Back
Top Bottom