New aquaclear 30!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all. So I just received an AC30 in the mail. I am upgrading from a cheapo tetra whisper internal filter to this AC30. What is the best way to go about installing my new filter with out losing all my bacteria that has built up inside my old filter. Should I still run the old filter for a while to prevent any blooms?

pleechford said:
Hello all. So I just received an AC30 in the mail. I am upgrading from a cheapo tetra whisper internal filter to this AC30. What is the best way to go about installing my new filter with out losing all my bacteria that has built up inside my old filter. Should I still run the old filter for a while to prevent any blooms?

Im not too knowledgable on these products but I would try and transfer as much media from the old to the new and if possible run them both for a week or 2.

I'm not familiar with your cheapo filter. What type of media is in there? Can you stuff it into the new filter housing?

LyndaB said:
I'm not familiar with your cheapo filter. What type of media is in there? Can you stuff it into the new filter housing?

I am not at home ATM but it is an in the tank filter made by tetra. Whisper 10 I believe is what it is called. It uses just a bio bag an that is it.

pleechford said:
I am not at home ATM but it is an in the tank filter made by tetra. Whisper 10 I believe is what it is called. It uses just a bio bag an that is it.

I might be able to stuff some of the media inside the housing.

You should be able to utilize the seeded filter media within the new filter housing. If you're keeping the same tank and same fish, this would give you an instant cycle.

TigerBarbs said:
O jeez. Transferring the filter bag to the aquaclear for a few weeks will be fine

Okay great. Yeah the filter I have now is horrible. There are always decent size particles floating all around in the tank. Quite aggravating if you ask me.

So I received my AC 30 today. And so far it has done great. Although my water is still cloudy due to high trites. Does anyone know the best way to get that crystal clear water?

Remove the white filter cartridge from the tetra filter and take it off the frame. Fold it up and place it under the foam or between the foam and the ceramic in the aquaclear. Plug in your new filter.

Back
Top Bottom