New Aquaclear Filter...assistance would be appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have used Tetra Whisper filters ever since I began keeping fish. After reading about how much people seem to like the Aquaclear brand, I went out and bought one today. It is for my 10 gallon, and I bought the 5-15 gallon model.

My question is, it says to replace the blue filter cartridge every 2-4 weeks. The other bio cartridge it says to meet replace. Do those of you that have this filter change the blue cartridge? I have never changed cartridges before, so I am wary of this instruction. Is there anything I should know about miller media with this filter? Any pointers?

Additionally, my tank is established. I have never swapped to a implement different model of filter before. How do I do this safely without causing a mini cycle?

Thanks!

I don't know about miller media, but I can definitely tell you that you should not change any of your filter cartridges unless they are absolutely falling to pieces. As for swapping to a different filter, is there a way you can run both filters at once in your tank, so the BB can establish itself?

I kind of figured as much regarding the filter cartridges. I just wanted to double check.

Not really a way I can run them both... I might be able to rig something up but was wondering more if I could just switch over the filter cartridges from the whisper without disrupting anything.

Don't switch the filter cartridges. If they get gunk on them, just swish them around in a bucket of water and the debris should come unattached.

If you can fit the Whisper media into the Aquaclear than do that. I would just pull the filter media off the blue plastic holder and take the black sponge that is on the other plastic holder and put them in the Aquaclear. I have both brands of filters and I did that with my New Aquaclear. Put the old media under the Aquaclear bio rings so the water flows through the old stuff into the new media. After a month or so you can remove the Whisper media and the filter will be cycled.

I have used Tetra Whisper filters ever since I began keeping fish. After reading about how much people seem to like the Aquaclear brand, I went out and bought one today. It is for my 10 gallon, and I bought the 5-15 gallon model.

My question is, it says to replace the blue filter cartridge every 2-4 weeks. The other bio cartridge it says to meet replace. Do those of you that have this filter change the blue cartridge? I have never changed cartridges before, so I am wary of this instruction. Is there anything I should know about miller media with this filter? Any pointers?

Additionally, my tank is established. I have never swapped to a implement different model of filter before. How do I do this safely without causing a mini cycle?

Thanks!

If you have carbon filters then they would require changing every 2-4 weeks. Assuming you wanted to continue using carbon as it becomes ineffective after about a month. I think the blue pad is primarily mechanical filtration right? In which case no need to change. It just so the manufacturers can make more money. They usually call them "service packs"

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm pretty sure the cartridges from the whisper will fit so I'll go that route. I'll be installing it today.

It seems to be working out well. I like that it doesn't take up as much room in the tank as my internal filter did. My babies will enjoy the extra swimming space! I managed to get the cartridges in but I'm going to test my params frequently to watch for any spikes I might get.

Back
Top Bottom