New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what's the best way to start up a new aquarium, I have an aquarium back home. Would it be better to bring the filter from there and put it in my new aquarium?

The easiest way to start up a new tank is to have seeded filter media from an established tank. Do you have fish in that other tank with the filter?

Yes I do. Its been running for over a year. But I don't understand what "seeding the filter" is? And how do you do it?

Yes I do. Its been running for over a year. But I don't understand what "seeding the filter" is? And how do you do it?

I believe the best way is to get a dirty filter pad (one that has been in your already set-up tank for a while) from your filter and put that in the filter of your new tank. Good luck! :)

Tipton34 said:

Basically, you take filter media that already has established bacteria colonies on it, run it in the filter with the new filter and media, and in the process, the bacteria will eventually grow on the new media, becoming "seeded."

Sounds good, but the filter is three hours away. Can I just put it in a plastic bag with water?

Back
Top Bottom