New aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bowens101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone ! I just bought new aquarium ! It's a 20 gallon aquarium. I bought it off kijiji for 50 bucks! It came with everything and two gold fish ! I'm going to add pictures ! They did not know names of the aquarium or anything ! But the fish are very healthy moving lots and no rough fins or anything ! We had to move them . Which have made them scared. Who wouldn't be! But this is my first aquarium since I was young and want to make sure they settle in! It's been 2 days know and they only hide and when lights on the smaller one hides and the big one flips out ! Hitting side on tank and swimming back and forth ! Let me know and tips anything ! Also what would be an awesome tank buddie ? I was looking at cat fish and maybe dwarth frog. The two gold fish are pretty well grown almost an inch ! I'm posting pictures the smaller one is the super orange one and white is bigger one ! [8047575ATTACH]250904[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411610253.639163.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411610348.584395.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411610583.518662.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411610192.758237.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411610192.758237.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 140
Sorry spellings bad !

Hello and welcome!

I would not put anything else in the tank with the goldfish; one goldfish needs 20g minimum, and each fish after should have 10g more per additional fish.
Please check out these links:
Goldfish: A Guide for Proper Care and Living Environment

I know you don't have a bowl (thank goodness), but, please read these too:
Why goldfish bowls should be banned | Aquariadise
Why you should never keep goldfish in a bowl [Guest Post] - The Goldfish Tank

Good luck and if you can get a 30g for these guys if at all possible, please do so! If you want tankmates with them, a 40g minimum I would recommend. But please, do not add any other creatures into that tank, the bioload will be high enough with these fish.

Did you cycle the tank before adding the goldfish? If not, there is still hope, I hope a more experienced person will jump in here. I did a fishless cycle for our 10g tank, I wouldn't dare nor would I want to do a fish-in cycle, but if you already have the fish, sometimes there is no choice but to do that.

Good luck :)

Unfortunately these are common goldfish. You cannot add any tankmates even if you upgrade your tank. A 30+ is ok for fancy goldfish but these guys have the capability to get HUGE. The best thing to do since they are healthy is find someone with a pond and rehome them. Sorry, I know you are excited but goldfish don't belong in aquariums

My boyfriend has a pond with koy fish ? But like I said I've grown to really like these two ! I was planning on getting plants. But what I don't understand isn't it one fish per 2 gallons not two fish for every ten ? I've looked at other aquariums on here and they have 20 gallons with more fish ? I would get bigger tank but these guys grew up in them .

I went to big als and that's what they said as well !

It depends on the size and space requirements of the fish. Gold fish get pretty dang large so and need a good amount of swimming room. It's like keeping a dog in a crate 24/7. They can physically be healthy but is it the dog really going to thrive?

Understanble ! But I would not want to take them out of there habitat because they grew up here ! And Canada tends to get cold ! But i was really looking forward to adding some fish !? There's no way I could add some like small fish ? A school!?

Also I wouldn't feel comfortable putting with koy gold fish

Not in that size tank. The fish are still mall. Google how large a common goldfish gets.

Like I said they are ful grown since only owner had them for years

Like I said they are ful grown since only owner had them for years

Sorry but they're not full grown. They've only grown to the size of their surroundings. Keeping them in a tank that size will only shorten their lifespan. As others have said, put them in something bigger. They also produce more waste than any other fish. You need to be filtering water at a rate at least 10x the tank size and preferably a lot more than that. It's the ethical thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Well I just bought the aquarium why would I go out and buy a new one ? So you guys are basically telling me to give away the fish which I would not feel comfortable giving them away ! Like I read all over even asked the people at als and they said it would be fine ! Like its kinda stupid I have a pond but like I said coy fish I don't want anything bad to happen to these little guys I was think one more fish or two ? Not like 10!

Goldfish, are actually carp with the gold coloration, which mean that they will grow to the size of a carp. And the only reason the goldfish are staying that size is because they can't grow any bigger, so they adapted to the size of the tank and can only grow as big as the tank size will allow. But if you put the goldfish with the koi, then there is a small chance something could happen. But both fish are coldwater fish, which means they can live in ponds like native fish. But trust me, if you want to add other fish in your tank, then moving the goldfish into the pond is a good idea, because if you add more fish to your tank, then the waste can build up really quick and desease will spread quickly, unless you practically do weekly to 2 times a week water changes.

I want to elaborate on a part of what was said above. By "growing to the size" of the tank, that means their bodies stop growing but their internal organs do not. So while you think they're done growing, they're really not. It's painful and miserable.

This can happen with many fish or aquatic creatures that are put into a tank that is inappropriate in size for them.

If you truly love these fish and want what's best for them, please think about this information.

So what I just keep the two fish !? I don't want to put in pond cause the koy fish are much bigger and I don't want them to beat on them !

What about snails !? I just want my aquarium to be more lively my fish are always hiding

So what I just keep the two fish !? I don't want to put in pond cause the koy fish are much bigger and I don't want them to beat on them !

The bottom line is it's cruel to make them suffer in a small tank. They won't live much longer in there. Those fish should be over a foot long by now if they are really adults. Under proper conditions your goldfish will grow very large and live a very long life. Move them to the pond if possible - how large are the koi? If you're really set on keeping 2 common goldfish in a tank for the long term, be prepared to get a very large tank (100 gallon or larger) because they'll need room to grow, room to swim, a large volume of water to handle their bio-load, and plenty of powerful filtration. Keeping common goldfish in an aquarium long-term is not very practical for the average fish-keeper.

I'm planning on getting a bigger aquarium after I've had this one for a bit I just wanna learn the ropes ! If I were to cycle the aquarium twice a week ! Like I'm not trying to be cruel ! It's hurting me cause I took them in and I want them to be happy .help me out than? Like I said there's no possible way to put them in pond cause of koy fish the biggest one is the size of my hand !

Back
Top Bottom