New Aquarium & New Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no clue how fast they grow since I've never kept them. I've only ever seen them at one lfs in a display tank and it was a 450 gal. Unfortionately they don't breed a smaller size. :) LFS are out to make money. And if they tell you 6 inches you'll buy that fish. When they get big they will tell you that you need a bigger tank. You'll buy it from them. It's an endless cycle of them getting your cash. Always research first from a source that isn't making money off of the sale. Chains like PetCo and PetsMart are the worst. They had a sign that African Cichlids are fine in a 20 gal tank. Hardly. Min = 55.

Regarding your profile, that depends on which style you are using. Go to the AA main homepage and it should be on the right hand side. That's where mine is anyway.

Fishyfanatic, you're absolutely right and it looks like I got burned. I still cannot locate the receipt for the tinfoils. Perhaps I'll look for someone to adopt them?

Anyone in the Southern California region? Zip code 91789? :D

Ammonia and nitrites have risen tonight (.25ppm and 1.0ppm respectively). Performed a 40% water change, treated the water, added bacteria, and added a tea sp. of conditioning salts. The fish seem much more animated. I can really start to enjoy the tank, they were always hiding before.

Don't feel bad, it happens to a lot of people. :) At least you came to a third party for assistance. You may want to try just taking them back, without the receipt. They may not give you anything for them but you could pick something suitable for the tank size.

What kind of "bacteria" are you using? Unless it's Bio-Spira it's not going to be useful.

Fishyfanatic said:
Don't feel bad, it happens to a lot of people. :) At least you came to a third party for assistance. You may want to try just taking them back, without the receipt. They may not give you anything for them but you could pick something suitable for the tank size.

What kind of "bacteria" are you using? Unless it's Bio-Spira it's not going to be useful.

It's one of the Kordon "Tidy Tank" products. It claims to have some bacteria in it and is supposed to reduce odors (what odors, my fish don't have BO!)

I was actually going to look into Spira. After browsing these boards for a day, I easily got an earful about it.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about using the Tidy Tank. I've honestly never heard of it before.

Bio Spira is a wonder product for first time aquarists. It must be kept cold though. If you do decide to go that route, pack a small cooler for transport. If it gets warm the bacteria will die.

Fishyfanatic said:
Eh, I wouldn't worry about using the Tidy Tank. I've honestly never heard of it before.

Bio Spira is a wonder product for first time aquarists. It must be kept cold though. If you do decide to go that route, pack a small cooler for transport. If it gets warm the bacteria will die.

Good to know, especially in sunny CA.

And just so I understand the role of bacteria in the nitrogen cycle, it's there to convert the nitrites into nitrates, among other things, right?

Hope the lfs has Bio Spira. I don't recall seeing it at Petsmart.

Oh yes, in CA you'll definintely need the cooler. Pack it almost full of ice since I'm sure it's hot this time of year. :) When you get home immediately put it in the tank.

The bacteria converts Ammonia (fish waste) to Nitrites then to Nitrates. The former two are the ones that are deadly in small doses. The latter can be deadly in high doses. PWCs remove the nitrates.

PetsMart won't have BioSpira. I'd call around and ask before heading out. A lot of businesses don't want to deal with it because of the hassle.

I just wanted to add to the discussion about the Tinfoil barbs.

My first fish were Tinfoils and Bala's. I had a 28 gallon tank at the time. Those barbs grow very large and very quickly. At about 3 months, they were already 6" long.

I would heed the advice about returning them. If you can't find the receipt, just call the petstore and return them without getting a refund or credit.

EDIT: I almost forgot, WELCOME to AA! :peace:

Thanks Fishyfanatic! Appreciate the help!

rkilling1 said:
I just wanted to add to the discussion about the Tinfoil barbs.

My first fish were Tinfoils and Bala's. I had a 28 gallon tank at the time. Those barbs grow very large and very quickly. At about 3 months, they were already 6" long.

I would heed the advice about returning them. If you can't find the receipt, just call the petstore and return them without getting a refund or credit.

EDIT: I almost forgot, WELCOME to AA! :peace:

Aw! But that's no fun! I'd rather have someone adopt them than condemn them to death at the LFS. :(

Well, when I get a larger tank, I'll be sure to check the resources provided here as well as get some opinions on my fish choices. Off the top of your head, what would make a compatible addition to a tank occupried with Tiger barbs? Something a newbie can handle. :)

Well, the Tin foils are getting larger. Tossed out the tacky blue/teal/white gravel and the castle and went "al natural" (or is it "au?")

Picture taken with cell phone.
img_822363_0_e0d6c3cd34c263239d46d6913133d47a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom