New Aquarium, Few Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blazed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For about the past month I've been researching salt and fresh water aquariums. Looking for something to get into now that I have a lot more time on my hands.... I have been talking to friends about it and came into a free 55g tank. Basically, I'm turning my place into a bachelor pad and putting a tank in my bedroom. At first I wanted Saltwater because of the fanciness but then after reading I quickly learned its over my budget and takes a lot of time and care. So I decided it wasn't for me yet seeing how its my first tank other then a few Betta's.

I'm looking for advice on how to set it up with a few key things in mind.
55 Gallon Tank
Budget Minded
Low maintenance
Aesthetically pleasing

All I have is the tank, stand and hood with a few normal looking lights.
A budget minded list would be great, or just a few idea's. Anything really.
Thanks for taking your time to respond.

Going FW is a good choice for a beginner aquarist.You will probably want to go with low light plants like java fern and a few hardy easy to care for fish like bolivian rams,zebra danios,etc.Something along the lines of that!!Hope this helps!!!

I have been making a parts list and I'm thinking something along the lines of.
Filter: Emporer 400
Air Pump: Rena 300
Heater: Marineland Visi-Therm Stealth 250w
Powerhead: 2 - Penguin 660
Substrate: 60lb of Top Fin polished pebbles

Looking at your posts, there are a few things you may want to consider. What type of fish are you looking at stocking? Powerheads are useless, imo, for certain applications. The filter, you may want to reconsider as well. Some people like them, some dont. Depending on your stocking, i would suggest either an aqua-clear HOB or a fluval canister. As far as being low maintenence, that really depends on how well you keep it up. If you do your weekly water changes and keep everything in check, there wont be much to it. If you plan on sticking it in your room, feeding the fish, and doing a water change when the water looks dirty, you'll be in for a long and gruellling process. For fish, are you planning on a community tank, a sa/ca cichlid tank, n/w cichlids, or africans (im sure i left out a few other choices)

Also, I would recommend possibly using 2 heaters. It makes the temp in the tank more consistant, with no cold spots.
+1 for making sure you cycle your tank!

Well I'm hoping to have my tank look something close to this.
pPETS-6704003dt.jpg

I like the Asian theme so going with that I'm thinking.
2 Trinidad Plecos
4-6 Sparkling Gouramis
2-3 Madagascan Rainbows

Is that too much for a 55g tank?

And would the Rena xp2 be a good choice?

Also what should I go with for a CUC?

2 Trinidad Plecos
4-6 Sparkling Gouramis
2-3 Madagascan Rainbows

Is that too much for a 55g tank?

And would the Rena xp2 be a good choice?

Also what should I go with for a CUC?

Bump

ditch the trinidads... if you are set on plecos, get bristlenose or rubber lipped... trinidads require no less than 70g tanks... i think you would be ok with the others... the xp2 would be ok... not my first choice, but if you like rena, that would be ok... as far as cuc?

The powerheads and the air pump really aren't necessary. That tank in the picture has live plants in it. Look into getting some good lighting if you want plants like that. Aim for 2 watts per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom