New aquarium- weight concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nekarah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I'm planning on getting my first aquarium and I was thinking about a 40galons and installing in a in wall tv stand I have in my living room.

I have attached a picture to see if anyone can advise me about the aquarium weight and if I should be concern about its weight. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 976626_11_1.jpg
    976626_11_1.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 101
Well, I'd guess you'd be pushing about 450 lbs if that helps

1 gallon of water weighs about 8.3454 pounds.
but that's not taking into account the tank, the substrate, the decorations, the filter and equipment.
I think it's better to overestimate and be safe than underestimate and be sorry.
the little built in alcove shelf doesn't seem like it can handle too much but I'm not an engineer and looks can be deceiving.
Btw that room looks beautiful

I must say, a very nice looking room! I don't think it will have much of a problem holding the weight of a tank as it's a pretty sturdy looking shelf! You can always try placing items that add up to the equivalent weight on the shelf to test if it will hold it, and then you'll know for sure! I build furniture and a small bookstand that I built could easily withstand over 100 pounds so a shelf made to hold a lot of weight could hold a ton more I'm sure. Enjoy setting up your new tank and if you have any other questions, please ask!

So unnerving since you do not know what sort of structure/framing is in there. It might be awkward working on the tank too. I agree that you should test the weight, better safe than sorry.

Very nice room!

I would strongly consider the ease of access for your tank and perhaps a couple 2x4s under that shelf. It would probably hold it on its own but better safe than sorry.

Ive always wanted to build a tank into the wall but i always said i wouldnt do that unless i had a closet to lead to the equipment behind it.

Ease of access is key

Perhaps I'm overcautious, but I'd be very wary of that shelf. A fully loaded 40-breeder is about 450 lbs, and that shelf looks decorative, not load-bearing. I agree with the person above who suggested adding supports to it.

thanks!!! Thank you all for your responses!

What do you think about a 20 gallon tank?

build a box using 2x4s in the space below, then add doors/moldings to match the style of the rest of the room, the weight of the tank will be supported by that box and you can hide your fish stuff behind the doors.

Back
Top Bottom