new betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently set up a 5 gallon tank with fluorite gravel and two plants that were labeled at the lfs as cumbuna...they look like green foxtail. There are also two volcanic rocks from an established tank in the setup, and last night I added a very beautiful betta. He doesn't seem interested in his betta pellets so far, so should I just keep trying to feed him and hope he eventually catches on...or should I try some frozen bloodworms or something?

oh by the way the tank is a natural tank, so no filter etc

Bettas can be very picky eaters and very stubborn about new food. Just make sure to remove any uneaten food. After several days of refusing the food he'll eventually start eating it. The trick is to be more stubborn than your fish.

I did a search on that plant. Nothing came up in English. Maybe you mean cabomba?

Yes, bettas are picky eaters. I had a new betta once that didn't eat for a week. Just keep offering the food you want him to eat and he will be fine. My bettas like the Ocean Nutrition Atison's pellets and Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms. I soak the pellets in a cup of tank water for 2 1/2 minutes before feeding and I soak the bloodworms about 20 seconds. Dry food may absorb moisture in the stomach and cause bloat.

I'll post pics soon. I actually have a lot I'd like to post but I'm having trouble getting the pics on the website. My bf is going to help me do that next week. I should be able to post pictures of my betta, but also my ACFs, my non-aggressive tank, and my two crayfish with all their little babies :)

So my betta is still not eating which appears to be normal, but should I continue trying to feed him the betta pellets? If I gave him some blood worms would he probably like them and then never eat the pellets?

Back
Top Bottom