new betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a pretty new female betta today. Going to put her in a 10g divided tank with a male and some aquatic frogs. The employee at Petsmart and I were talking and he made the comment that hob filters scare betta and recommended an under gravel filter. From what I read under gravel filters are crap so I don't really want one, however his comment about it scareing the betta made me wonder. My betta doesn't seem scared. Anyone else ever hear this?

Scared? Absolutely silly. Bettas don't like a strong current filter because it ruins their swimming. If you get a strong filter with the same current, its best to cover it with something so it doesn't cause trouble for your betta. That way you get a good filter, and you betta wont be bothered.

I wouldn't say that they "scare" bettas, but not all bettas like them. Some bettas prefer less current than your average hob filter provides, but if the fish acts normally when in the tank, I wouldn't worry about it. I have never had one with an issue in my 10g tank with an hob, but fish are individuals.

That was my thought too. I have nylon over the intake to slow the flow, but it isn't because my betta doesn't like it, its because it pushes the sand around and makes "sand dunes" (as my daughter calls them). He asked if I was going to breed them. I said I wasn't planning on it, just wanted a female. He said breeding bettas was hard and he wouldn't recommend it. Makes me want to now just to prove him wrong haha.

That is so cool! Thanks mumma! Definitely going to try this!

Back
Top Bottom