New Betta started making a bubble nest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I bought my first Betta a few days ago and he's already building his first bubble nest. Is this a good sign or does it really not mean anything? Breeding Bettas sounds like in interesting task, but looks pretty time consuming.

So, how long does this beavior last anyhow?

Congratulations on your new betta! :multi: Building a bubble nest means that he's happy in his new home! Building a bubble nest is also done by instinct, and there doesn't have to be a female around for the male to make a nest. You don't have to breed him just because he's building a nest, if you don't want to. Most male bettas do build a nest from time to time. I had a betta once who had almost the whole surface of the water covered in bubbles! When I would do a water change, I would use a spoon to scoop out some of the bubbles, and put them in a plastic cup. After the water change, I would put the bubbles back in, and then the betta would re-build around the old bubbles. I thought that was better than making him start from scratch! But you don't have to try to save his nest if you don't want to. He'll build another one. My bettas stopped building nests when they were about a year old. They were still healthy and active, but they just stopped the nest building. I missed the nest when they stopped!

Back
Top Bottom