New Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydney_Jolene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

I recently started my first tank. I have a dragon scale betta in the Evolve 2 gallon tank with a filter and heater. I've read strong currents can stress your betta... & the power head in this tank seems pretty strong. The last thing I want is him stressed. what are some signs of stress in a betta? Has anyone had issues with this particular tank?

Thank you!
Sydney

Hey everyone!

I recently started my first tank. I have a dragon scale betta in the Evolve 2 gallon tank with a filter and heater. I've read strong currents can stress your betta... & the power head in this tank seems pretty strong. The last thing I want is him stressed. what are some signs of stress in a betta? Has anyone had issues with this particular tank?

Thank you!
Sydney

I'm not the best person to listen to when it comes to bettas cuz I don't have one but some signs that it is stressed is its swimming really hardly.. Sometimes it can just hide..

Hey guys! Thanks for the responses :) I don't believe he is stressed.. He seems to be swimming around and not hiding much at all. I just feel he struggles to swim around at times because of the strong current.. I have heard some Betta actually enjoy it. I'll keep an eye on him. & I will check that current gauge this evening to make sure it's on it's lowest settings.

Thank you so much
Sydney

Hi Sydney :) My name is Sydney too :lol:

Anyways, I read that you can put a piece of sponge, nylon stocking, of sponge in front of the filter output for fish that don't like stong currents like bettas, shrimp, gouramis, etc.

Hope this helps and your betta does well!

Some bettas do enjoy swimming thru the current, but as long as there is somewhere they can rest with little to no current, they should be fine. Try putting silk plants near the filters output. Also, I've used the the nylon trick and it works.

I have a few of the same tanks with bettas. on one the flow control doesn't work so I just put a piece of a sponge prefilter over the output and every once in a while I move it to let him play in the higher flow. The ones that work on the lowest setting are fine for my other guys

As long as there are areas on the surface that are still, it should be fine. Remember that bettas come up to breathe from the air so there has to be an area where he can do so without getting shoved around.

Hey everyone! Thanks again for the help. I do have my flow control on its lowest setting it seems.. So I'm going to try out the nylon trick! There is somewhere for him to rest & there is a smooth area of water where I always feed him & he comes up to breathe.. I just still don't like the amount of current in there so I'll try out the nylon or sponge.

Thanks so much! :)

Hey everyone!

Thank you!
Sydney

horizontal bands down the sides that are not a part of the bettas regular coloring is a sign of stress. Also if he has trouble swimming and if he seems to flare more than usual.

Back
Top Bottom