New bottom dweller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I made my 2nd visit to my LFS and I have made a few rather significant cnanges in my stocking plans. I oragionally was into Cory catfish, and planned on getting 6 of those. However, after looking at many different kinds, I don't have a huge desire to get them. I guess I thought they'd be a bit better, but anyways, now I have freed up space for a new bottom fish. So here's my stocking without a bottom dweller

1 apistogramma
1 German blue ram
6 cherry barbs( still not sure, any other cool schooling fish around 2 in.)?
1 swordtail
2 bumblebee gobys
1 dwarf gorami
So I now need something to occupy and clean the lower level of the tank. I am thinking a pictus catfish and either 4 ottos or 3 loaches/boati? What do you suggust? I also may add 3or so guppys
And also, I found 3 caves that I really liked and 1 hallow log with a hole in the middle. So il have 3 shelter spots. I also want to get some slate/large rocks and sillicone to create my own cave. Also will net be able to get live plants for at least 7 months, so I'll have to settle for 11 or so fake ones. How's everything sound? Btw it is a 29. Gallon tank with a penguine 150b and a penguine 100b.

CharlieKlein said:
Well I made my 2nd visit to my LFS and I have made a few rather significant cnanges in my stocking plans. I oragionally was into Cory catfish, and planned on getting 6 of those. However, after looking at many different kinds, I don't have a huge desire to get them. I guess I thought they'd be a bit better, but anyways, now I have freed up space for a new bottom fish. So here's my stocking without a bottom dweller

1 apistogramma
1 German blue ram
1 swordtail
2 bumblebee gobys
1 dwarf gorami
So I now need something to occupy and clean the lower level of the tank. I am thinking a pictus catfish and either 4 ottos or 3 loaches/boati? What do you suggust? I also may add 3or so guppys
And also, I found 3 caves that I really liked and 1 hallow log with a hole in the middle. So il have 3 shelter spots. I also want to get some slate/large rocks and sillicone to create my own cave. Also will net be able to get live plants for at least 7 months, so I'll have to settle for 11 or so fake ones. How's everything sound? Btw it is a 29. Gallon tank with a penguine 150b and a penguine 100b.

Well, I am not sure how much bottom territory will belong to your cichlids and gobies, so I am hesitant to suggest any bottom fish. However, the pictus WILL eat anything it can fit in its mouth FYI.

For your school there are LOTS of options! Many tetra, platies... do you want them as a middle level school?

I'm open to rellly any schooling fish! I was looking into cherry barbs but was wondering about a fish that schools really tightly together in the 2.in. Range
And as for the bottom, I really want then pictus. What will fit in their mouths? And boatis?

I sent you pictus profile info. :)

Rummy nose tetra (2 inch)
Cardinal tetra (3 inch)
These both school tightly.

Thanks. An now that I have looked into it, Mabye a pictus won't work. Do you have another suggustion for a 4 in. Or so fish that is a solitary bottom dweller? Also, would 3 boati or loaches work? And for the school, I'm deciding between 6 cherry barbs, rumy nose, and black phantom tetras!!!

Thanks. An now that I have looked into it, Mabye a pictus won't work. Do you have another suggustion for a 4 in. Or so fish that is a solitary bottom dweller? Also, would 3 boati or loaches work? And for the school, I'm deciding between 6 cherry barbs, rumy nose, and black phantom tetras!!!

Cool! You are welcome. I haven't owned boati or loaches. The only one I am familiar with is the kuhli loach. I am getting at least six of them soon!

I also like bristlenose plecos a LOT. This is my albino longfin. They grow to 3 or 4 inches.

image-237364268.jpg

CharlieKlein said:

1 apistogramma
1 German blue ram
1 swordtail
2 bumblebee gobys
1 dwarf gorami

I have a 30 gallon tank that I really like that has a pearl gourami, neon tetras zebra danios, long finned danios, fancy guppies(love!!) Cory cats, African dwarf frogs, snails, and ghost shrimp. Hope it helps with schooling fish. I love mine! I also have a different tank with some platys and danios. I like them a lot.

Thanks. I'll plan on 4 yoyo loaches and a bn or clown pleco. Look into the yoyo loaches, they are soooo cute!!!

I won't be able to do yoyos. I read that they need a 36" tank when small and 4 to 6 feet later. My tank is 4 feet but I have other territories planned in it too.

For my bottom dwellers I have a spotted raphael cat that I love. Then i have 4 burmese zebra loaches. I have 5 cherry barbs that are really pretty but they don't school tightly like I see with some tetras.

Cool! Yeah, now I see that I get different search results for spotted raphaels. They max out at 5 or 6, it seems. Maybe I will get one someday! :)

Back
Top Bottom