new bristlenose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I traded in 10 of my guppies and got a bristlenose pleco. He is really cute! Very dark with bright white spots and blue-ish white tips on his fins. I acclimated him for about an hour. He has been in the tank for about a half an hour, and when I went and checked on him he was laying on his back. Im freaked out a bit. I hope he makes it. Here is a picture through the plastic bag. If He lives, I will get better ones.

RIP Mr. Hooper. My new fishy died while we were out tonight. I hope I can exchange him tomorrow. It's very sad. :(

oh no :cry: sorry

I was just about to say mine lays on his back sometimes i think he just forgets to suck on the driftwood :lol: seems like he's sleeping then wakes up all of sudden and scurry's off again

well, went to pick up the new pleco today, and it turns out the one we had before was some rare pleco, and not the bristlenose we paid for. The one that died was a 30$ plecostomus. SO the guy gave me the right one, and this one is about an inch and a half long, but has no bristles. Is this right? Do they get them as they get older? Anyway I am sick about the other one. OH well. This little guy is very active. I will get some pics up probably tomorrow.

i did think that from the pic, he had such BIG eyes 8O

tis a shame you lost a rare plec

Good luck, and i've found BN's to be very hardy indeed... I've actually heard story's of them being out of the tank for about 15mins and still alive when put back in water!!

I'm sorry you lost Mr Hooper. :( If he had lived, you would have gotten quite a bargain - that was definitely not a common BN plec.

Lots of times, the plecs in the lfs arrive underfed. They like an established tank with lots of algae, algae wafers, and fresh veggies. They're rather shy, so they sometimes don't get enough to eat if they are displayed in large numbers, or with lots of aggressive eaters.

I hope you have better luck with your new BN. They're great algae eaters and fun to watch while they're sucking on an algea wafer (that is, if you can find them - they have excellent cammo). :wink:

Well, Mr. Hooper 2 is doing GREAT!! He is SO active I had a hard time getting a good picture of him. He never holds still. But here are a few. He is really cute!!

Sorry you lost Mr. Hooper. :cry: I've never seen a pleco like that at my LFS. I do have a bristlenose though. Mine is really cool looking with lots of bristles and he eats a ton of algae!!! Mine seems like he is really hardy so I am sure you won't have any trouble with Mr. Hooper 2. Is he going in your 55g tank?

Here is a pic of my recently acquired BN. He's very camera shy and it took me quite a while to snap this shot.

Here is a pic of my recently acquired BN. He's very camera shy and it took me quite a while to snap this shot.

Back
Top Bottom