NEW Bullish 'Betta' Behaviour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jts123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

At the end of Dec I stocked my newly 'fishless-cycled' 60L tank with the following stock:

x1 Male Betta
x2 Plattys (1 male, 1 female)
x4 Neon Tetras
x2 Kuhli Loach

Everything looked fine and all the fish appeared to be co-habiting well. Apart from the very occasional spat of dominance shown toward the Plattys from the Betta.

But, last week I decided I would add the final additions to this tank, and added:

x3 Dwarf Banded (Indian) Gourami's (2 males, 1 Female).

I also added a very small selection of live aquatic plants, just to finish the overall look of the tank off.

....Since the addition of the Gouramis (and plants within the same week) the Male Betta has apparently become a LOT more domineering seemingly to ALL the mid-water swimming fish. (ie: all except the Kuhli's, mainly because they never see each other I guess?).

He will actively: flare at, swim after and genarally bully any of the other fish, all within the last week or so??

Can anyone offer any ideas as to why the Betta has now become territorial and agressive to any fish that comes close to him?

Look forward to your feedback.

Gouramis and bettas usually are not a good mix. They are too similar. The Betta is feeling threatened. If it is acting like this now IMO it will only get worse. You need to either return the gouramis or move the Betta (or gouramis) to a second tank.

Because betta's and gouramies come from the same family the Betta thinks the gouramies are other Betta's so he tries to show dominance.

Hmmmm, I had no idea or knowledge that Gourami's and Betta's where from the same genus. Can't say that I have ever heard this anywhere before now. Do you have any links I can read-up on regarding this please?

However, I can accept that the Betta now maybe feeling threatend since the addition of the Gouramis, but why is the Betta now showing increased agression towards the plattys too, which it was happy to live along with before-hand?

cheers again. :)

Unfortunately your tank is pretty overstocked with the Gouramis and the fish probably feel crowded and are showing aggression. Bettas can be hit or miss in community tanks; they often do better with their own tank.

Back
Top Bottom